Chapter 25

-Hinata's POV-

A couple of days passed, and I finally began feeling like my old self, both mentally and physically. As a result, Sakura asked me to join her in doing laundry so I wouldn't die of boredom in the bedroom with nothing to do but read. Usually, I love reading, but when it's all there was to do for three days straight, anyone would get restless.

The two of us, with Sasuke and Naruto, are supposed to make our first supply run tomorrow. Shikamaru wants us to do asylum since everyone else had the nearby houses covered. He said the first few floors have already been done, so we'd likely be able to finish the building within two or three days, by which time everyone will be ready for travel.

"Oh! We should ask Konohamaru to join us! The poor kid's been stuck with Kankuro and Kiba since he woke up." I gave Sakura a grin as we walked downstairs.

Konohamaru's the boy they'd managed to capture and rescue from one of those weird alien things in his neck. I was relieved to hear he woke up afterward. If he hadn't, that would mean something terrible for humankind because who knew how many people were already inhabited.

"He's a really shy and sweet guy. I think you two will get along," Sakura said as we turned down the hall of the study.

We could hear Kiba and Kankuro's laughter as we approached the room. When we walked in, my pink-haired friend announced our arrival, "Good morning! Can we borrow Konohamaru today?"

Before anyone could respond, the skinny teenager, whom I assumed was our group's new addition, was on his feet and coming toward me with an angry look on his face, "You!"

All of us were surprised, but luckily Kiba had quick reflexes and tackled him to the ground just before he could reach me. It's not that I would've let him attack me, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to disable him without causing injury.

"What the hell, kid!" Kankuro barked as he knelt beside the pinned-down person in question.

He growled and tugged against Kiba's hold, "Let me go! She knows where Sana is!"

Sakura looked at me, and I shrugged. I'd never seen this boy or met anyone named "Sana". My friends pulled the boy upright, and I knelt with Sakura, "My name's Hinata. Why did you say that? I don't know anyone named-"

He cut me off with tears in his eyes, "Yes, you do, you liar! We saved you from that shooter the other day."

My heart sank in my chest, and I fell back onto my bottom with a hand to my mouth, "T-That girl was...?" I knew I hadn't imagined someone else before I passed out! It must've been him!

Konohamaru's struggling ceased, and the rage in his eyes became dread, "Don't tell me...."

I tried not to let my tears fall because the girl was clearly this boy's friend, but I couldn't stop them and frantically wiped at my cheeks as they fell, "She's.... I-I-I'm sorry, she.... She was shot, and then, a-ah.... I-I mean, the house, it was-"

All three of my friends gasped in realization simultaneously, Kiba being the one to speak in a disbelieving tone, "The burning body!"

Konohamaru's teary eyes overflowed, and he bent his head down as he started to sob, "B-Burning? She's...." I swatted the Kiba's hands away so he'd release the boy and bowed, "I-I am so sorry. I swear I tried to save her! I owe both of you my life."

The boy, who I was sure would hate me for being the last one to see his friend alive, placed a trembling hand on top of one of mine as he covered his face with his other arm and tried to speak through his heavy crying, "Y-You were almost dead. There's nothing you could've done."