Comedy: Not Your Tom and Jerry

Cyrus

I stretch my forepaws forward. The morning sun has just shone into my corner. That short nap I took earlier wasn't enough. Maybe I'll just sleep for a while more...... I slumped against the corner of my bed, exhausted.

"I CAME IN LIKE A WRECKING BALL!!!" The black, vertical box with two eye-like holes shakes as Miley Cyrus's Wrecking Ball plays. Oh no, not that one again, I yowl. Her voice is raspier than my tongue. My owner's a huge fan of Miley Cyrus and named me after the singer. It was definitely unfortunate; I have to listen to songs by the same singer every day. I'm not even a female cat in the first place! Oh, the indignity.

I'm burying my head in my long fur when several loud and sharp barks and howls alert me. Yikes! I slide my paws closer together such that my back bends in an arch, shaking. "Stop it!" I yowl in the direction of the sound.

As I'm looking out of the doorway of the cave, I notice that the barks sound like the song, just without the words. Sort of. "I'VE NEVER HIT SO HARD IN LOVE!!!" "Ruff-woof-woof-woof-ruff-A-A-WOOOOO!!!" Was that meant to be a song? It's not the best.

I bury myself under my body. There's only one dog in this place who sings like that. Actually, there's only one dog in this place.

Lulu

I hope I ticked off Cyrus.

I pad the floor, straighten my neck, and howl even louder, making sure even the song was softer than my howl. As I pause for a breath, I hear the owner chuckling and he pats my head as he walks to the huge red thing near the cat bed and sits down. I'm not exactly sure what the red thing is, but it must be special because I once sat on it and the owner scolded me.

Before I know it, the music ends and I sit on the toilet mat, anticipating my owner. My owner walks to the door and moves past me, hands full of tubs. He puts them on the floor, turns around and closes the door. Aha. No witnesses.

I walk over to Cyrus's food bowl. Earlier, while Cyrus had been sleeping, my owner had filled the bowl with cat food. I look up to see a ball of grey and white fur in the cat bed. She isn't awake; good. I watch Cyrus for a little while more and then I smash a paw into the bowl.

The cat food pieces scatter onto the floor around the bowl. I use my paw to nudge the pieces for a bit. Unexpectedly, Cyrus looks up from his nap. "How dare you!" He meows, jumping down to the ground.

Cyrus

Argh! That dog again! Just yesterday she pawed on my scratching post, leaving her awful scent on it, and last week she drank all the water from my bowl. I wish Lulu would just go back.

Splash! I look to the direction of the sound and see Lulu splashing a paw on my water bowl near the door, with water everywhere. "You already know how annoying I find that, yet you still do it!" I growl as I walk over to the door.

"Serves you right for hating me since I was brought home," Lulu replies with a triumphant bark.

"But I'm not the one who's trying to replace the previous fur baby in the house," I hiss and bare my teeth at the black dog.

Just as Lulu is about to reply, our owner, who has collapses onto the ground. Lulu and I pause in mid argument, then we turn to our owner. He is lying there, struggling to get up.

After a while, our owner just stops moving. Lulu sniffs around his head and nudge him. I paw his hands and yowl.

"Ah! What happened?" Lulu panics, having never seen this before.

"I don't know! But we need help from another human!" I retort, running out of the door. Lulu follows suit.

Lulu