(59)

( Guest Starring John Noble - Part 3 of 4 )

'I tried to reason with them, but they won't listen. Amaya is dead set on saving her village and Nate won't leave her behind. Nate's-' Wally said.

'Whipped.' Sara finished.

'Well, I was going to say in love, but yeah same thing.'

'Zari, please tell me that you have found a loophole that allows Amaya to save her village.'

'There is no loophole.' Zari reported. 'I've tried billions of variations, but this event has to many ripple effects. The village has to be destroyed, and Mallus is freed.'

'And we're all doomed.' Rip sighed.

'What if we're not.' Sara suggested, picking up the death totem from where it was placed on the ship's display. 'We have the sixth totem, the only thing that Mallus is afraid of. You can't fight what you can't see. What if the only way to kill Mallus is to let him out?'

'Are you really suggesting that we allow Mallus to escape because you have a collection of magical stones?' Ava asked.

'We have two choices. We fight Amaya or we free Mallus. I know it sounds crazy to let a time demon out, but it's a hell of a lot easier to stomach than letting a whole village our friends.'

'Okay, yes, but didn't the original totem bearers try and face Mallus and fail?' Wally questioned.

'Constantine said that the only reason they couldn't kill Mallus was because the death totem betrayed them. And that's not going to happen this time.'

'How can you be so sure?' Rip said. 'I need not remind you what happened the last time you tried to wield it.'

'She won't have to.' Damien announced, entering the room. 'I will. The death totem was attracted to Captain Lance because of a unique quality we share. We were both brought back from the dead, using a Lazarus Pit. Plus, I have a personal stake in wanting to send Mallus straight to hell. He took my daughter.'

'As true as that may be. There is no chance that Captain Lance will trust you with such a dangerous weapon.' Rip added, stepping forward.

Contrary to Rip's words Sara tossed the totem to Damien, who caught it one catch.

'Death totem's all yours.'

'Sara you can't be serious!' Ava cried.

'Ava, we don't have a choice.'

'Our only choice is to help Amaya and stop the anachronisms. This is insanity.'

'Insanity is what we do best, Ava.'

'I won't condone this, and the bureau certainly doesn't condone this.' Ava's eyes flicked over to Thea and her spouse, desperate for help. 'Rip, come on, help me out here.'

'Remember when I said we'd need the legends before all of this was through? Perhaps it is time we set aside our differences and let them be the chainsaw.'

Ava then said nothing in response, only stalking off to an unknown part of the ship.

'Ava!' Sara called, walking after her. 'Ava! Wait!'

Unbeknownst to the rest of the team, who were watching Sara stalk out, the death totem glowed blue in Damien's hand and Thea's palms lit up gold. A tear also made its way down Thea's cheek.

They could feel it, the beginning of the end.

Word Count: 532 words

Written: 14th November 2022

Published: 14th November 2022