Chapter 1

Columbus, Ohio (approx. 100 miles north of Crestview)

December 2023

Dylan swore he wouldn't fidget during the drive between Columbus and Toledo, but it was a struggle. He kept fishing around in his pocket to reassure himself that nothing disastrous had happened. He couldn't help gazing at Victoria, his girlfriend of three and a half years, as she focused on the road ahead. Gazing at her was a normal part of life, but today was unusual. He fought to keep his racing thoughts from impacting his facial expressions, and, unlike every other day, his gazes sprung more from anxiety than love. Perceptive psychology major that she was, Victoria had to have noticed by now.

"Hey, are you okay?" she asked, placing her free hand over his. He frowned at the confirmation of his paranoia.

"Just tired," he lied. He brushed his dark brown bangs back into their rightful place. But the innocuous move devolved into raking his hand through his hair several times. He twirled a few of the loose waves around his finger to release some of the nervous energy plaguing him.

"Are you sure? You seem, I don't know, nervous or irritated." Victoria glanced at him. "You look pale. Well, paler than usual," she teased.

Dylan shook his head. He would've laughed had he been more relaxed. "I'm not even that pale," he said. "It's an optical illusion from standing next to Krystin, Noel, and Samantha with their perfect mocha and honey-colored complexions and tanning abilities." He forced a smile through his frazzled nerves. "But really, I'm okay. I promise. Maybe I'm a tiny bit worried about your trip. But I always get like that."

"It's only for a few days," Victoria reminded him. "I'll be back before you know it and then we'll spend the rest of winter break together all cuddled up and catching up with the fam."

Dylan nodded. "Yeah, I know. But there's always some part of me that worries."

"I could get hurt anywhere I go. Still, it's not very likely whether I'm here or in Florida."

"Yeah, but if something happens and I'm not there..." he began.

"Then what?" she asked.

"Then something happened to you, and I didn't do jack shit about it. What kind of asshole does that?"

"Not being there isn't the same as not doing anything," Victoria insisted. "You can't always watch over me. It's not your job. It's irrational to blame yourself for things that aren't your fault. If something happens to me, that's on fate."

"I know. I mean, I guess so."

"And Miami isn't crazy dangerous or anything. It's just a concert, and I'll be with Sara. I won't be alone," she added.

Sara and Victoria met in kindergarten, and although Sara went to University of Miami for college to be closer to her father, Victoria's friendship with her remained. The pair managed to spend at least a few days of winter or summer break together each year. This time, Victoria was headed to Miami to see she and Sara's favorite singer, whitewolf. Dylan didn't want his unease to ruin the fun.

He knew Victoria was right and his worries were unfounded. Yet that didn't change anything. Something just felt wrong, nonsensical though it was. He was the son of a former widower and an older brother of three, after all. He couldn't shake the feeling that there was something irresponsible about leaving his loved ones to their own devices if he could help it. Just leaving Krystin, Noel, and Samantha to go to college had been hard. He had long since moved past that, but having Victoria so far away gave him a similar sense of dread.