𝐒𝐈𝐗.

★

THE FAIR WAS FLOODED WITH PEOPLE. Once Cartier and Xyah got past that aggravating line, it began harder and harder for Xyah to contain her excitement. The smell of fresh funnel cake and the sounds of laughter and thrilling shrieks were all that could fill one's senses. Cartier had brought Xyah here, surprising her with the trip as he drove her home from work. Little did he know, he'd be subjected to being dragged all over the fairgrounds as the two rode dozens of rides and visited many concession stands. This had to be the closest the two had ever been. Cartier had shown Xyah a different side of him that evening- he was vulnerable and welcoming.

"I'm back." Cartier announced, his hands full with drinks and food as he made his way back to the table the couple were seated at.

"Thanks but you didn't have to." Xyah chuckled as Cartier handed her a cherry slushie and a some cheese fries.

He quickly shook his head, "Nah, I wanted to."

"Plus, I couldn't take you out and not feed you." He smiled at the girl, his chestnut eyes gazing into hers as a burning sensation flooded her cheeks.

"Well, I appreciate it." The girl flashed a bright smile back at the older man. The sun was going down and the fair was lit up with colorful lights. The two sat for what seemed like hours, talking, laughing, and simply enjoying one another's presence.

The crowd eventually died down, leaving only a handful of people. The couple decided that they've been out long enough when they started walking back to the car.

"There he go! Right there!"

"Cartier!" A loud voice called out from behind the two.

"Fuck." The man thought.

Xyah and Cartier turned around to see Sadè and her friend, Dina. Anger and pain etched into the Sadè's  face. Xyah immediately looked to Cartier, wanting answers of some sort.

"So you taking bitches on dates and shit?" She reamed the man, "Are you fucking serious, nigga!"

"Look at his ass, he don't know what to say." Dina instigated, while holding her phone up- recording Xyah and Cartier.

Before Cartier could answer.

"Who the fuck you calling a bitch?" Xyah snapped making Sadè's head whip in the girl's direction.

"You gon let that bitch talk to you like that, Dè?!" Dina riled her friend up.

Sadè's body shook with rage. She attempted to run up on Xyah but was caught by Cartier as he grabbed her forcefully by the shoulders.

"You need to take your crazy ass home!" He shouted at the girl, unable to control his anger any longer. "Both of y'all!"

Xyah on the other hand, watched the whole situation unfold before her- shocked and speechless. She had never seen Cartier act like that. When they were together, he was always calm and reserved; this was a whole new side of him. Sadè, hurt and betrayed, eventually stormed off after a short screaming battle with Cartier.

Cartier turned to face Xyah, wanting to explain himself to her. The two locked eyes before Xyah simply turned around and walked off, away from the direction of Cartier's car. He followed the girl quickly and grabbed her arm only for her to thrash away.

"Xyah, stop. Let me just explain." He pleaded, grabbing her arm again.

She snatched her arm from him once more, "I don't want to hear shit from you."

"Look-"

"You're a fuckin' liar." The girl spat, trying to get away from the man behind her.

"Please- Let me at least take you home." He rationalized, still following the girl.

"This was all a mistake." He spoke up, the girl finally stopped and swiftly turned to face the man, her nervousness no longer present as she looks the man dead in his eyes.

"What was the mistake, Carti?" She snapped, "Having me look like a dumbass or getting caught cheating?!"

The man couldn't think of anything to say.. Honestly, what could he say.

"I'm soo fuckin' sorry." He expressed.

"Please, let me drive you home and I can explain the whole situation?" He held both of the girl's hands gently, staring deeply into her eyes.

The girl pulled her hands away and rolled her eyes, walking back to the car, Cartier following closely. The man held open the door for her like he usually does and made his way to the driver's seat, putting the car in drive.

"So that was Sadè-" He began.

"In all honesty," Lying through his teeth, "We haven't been together in months and when we were together, it was horrible." He carefully explained.

Xyah listened to the man the whole ride back home.
Quite frankly, she felt bad for the man. From what he told her, Sadè was some crazed ex who was abusive and manipulative their whole relationship. Xyah sympathized with Cartier knowing she's been in a similar situation in the past.

"-I was just too embarrassed to tell you about the whole thing, I really didn't want to drag you into this either." He finished as the car came to a halt in from of Xyah's house.

"Wow." Was all the girl said, "I'm sorry you had to go through that."

"But in the future, I'd like you to be more transparent with me. I hate the situation you put me in today." She stated sincerely before getting her things together.

"You're right. I apologize." Cartier agreed.

He grabbed the girl's hand before she can leave, "Look Xyah."

He hesitated, "I really want there to be an us."

"I'm just hoping I didn't ruin the possibility of that today." He trailed off.

The man was surprised with a small kiss on his cheek, looking down at the girl who's smiling at him. The man returned the smile as the girl got out the car.

"Call me when you get home?" She asked holding the door open, her head tilting slightly to the side.

"Of course, Love." The man smirked at the girl before she closed the car door and walked inside.

------

𝐇𝐨𝐰 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭? 𝐕𝐨𝐭𝐞, 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐞!