Chapter IV

Rodalya and Silus sat in silence.

"I should probably go home," Silus said.

"Yeah, same. The dragons are probably waiting," Rodalya said, standing up. Silus stood up as well and walked deeper into the woods heading back to his humble home.

Rodalya walked up to the tower and called to the dragons to let her in. They opened the gate and she walked in. Like always she did, she walked near the tower wall's, just close enough to run her fingertips along the thousands of years of history. The bricks were stacked in perfect order. They were stacked when the humans and dragons got along and formed an alliance that was broken when the humans realized just how powerful dragons were. They grew jealous and attacked without warning. Most dragons died in that fight. They are peaceful, not the savage beasts humans made them out to be. The human kind changed history and made it out to seem like the dragons struck first. Rodalya turned to Xyvrel.

"Why are my kind so cruel to you?" Rodalya asked. Xyvrel exhaled. A small puff of smoke came out of his mouth as he did so.

"I was young when it first happened. The king of dragons, had wanted a union between our kinds, human and dragon. For a hundred years all was peaceful. The dragons gave gifts of power to the humans and in return the humans gave the dragons land. We were wise and knew not to fully trust the humans, but the king, my grandfather, did not want to listen to the warnings our kind proclaimed. He continued to make friends with the humans but the humans thought that he was trying to control them. My grandfather was the first dragon killed. Once the humans felt the exhilaration that came with killing, they didn't stop. My father and mother died in one of the very first battles. I was left alone, an orphan. Then, I found Nymisi when we were both being chased by a mob of humans. We escaped to this tower and have been here for 800 years. Nymisi grew up as a nursing dragon. Her mother took care of dragon children and that job transferred to her. Nymisi and I are the last dragon's. Our kind depends on us." Xyvrel looked up at the sky. Rodalya could always tell that he missed soaring above the clouds with his friends. Rodalya, if she was a dragon who had gone through the same things as Xyvrel, would miss flying through the sky with her friends. Rodalya didn't really know what a friend was. She knew the dictionary definition of friends and friendship but she couldn't describe it emotionally, but she wished she could. She didn't want to be alone in a tower for the rest of her life, she wanted to explore and ride on her dragons' backs. She wanted to taste adventure and feel the arms of another human around her. She knew she couldn't have these things because the dragons needed her.

"Rodalya! We must tell you a story!" Nymisi called. Rodalya continued walking until she came across the library. This was the place the dragons normally told her a story, but they were nowhere to be seen, so where were they?

"Child, it is time we tell you a story of the first and only half-dragon. The story of where they come from," Nymisi appeared next to her, "Come."

Come? Is there a place in this tower I have yet to explore? Rodalya thought.

Nymisi led Rodalya to a staircase and carried her down it. When they reached the bottom of that staircase, Rodalya couldn't believe her eyes. In front of her she saw massive amounts of silver and gold and jewels no human has ever seen in their life or ever would.

"Rodalya, this is Xyvrel and I's hoard. We have been collecting all of this for all of these years. There is a story, a myth you could say, about a young half-dragon. This half-dragon is said to be destined to either save the dragon's or bring about their end. It is time we share this myth with you, seeing as you will be the last person who knew the dragons."

"But won't you live longer than me?"

"I am afraid that humans have grown restless. They are coming to attack at this very moment but won't gain the advantage," Xyvrel said, coming out of nowhere.