Chapter 26

The screen shifted to a television moderator.

"Good day to those who are still awake—I'm reporting live from the ADC HQ where the press conference will be held in a few minutes. Today has spurred many strange events, and we're expecting to receive an official statement. But before that, we will transmit a special speech from Raizen High School ADC representative, Kenji Miyagawa."

A moment passed and the screen changed to Kenji who did his best not to look off. To his credit, only those aboard Fraxinus suspected something was off.

"Miyagawa?! What is he doing on TV?!" blurted out Shido.

"Looks like our friends over at the ADC don't intend on wasting a single drop," said Kotori, crossing her arms.

Kenji braced himself and began talking.

"Good evening, fellow citizens of Japan. It's my honour to represent Tengu city and my school, but also Japan as an entire nation. Before the actual conference, I would like to have a moment of your time to tell you something."

"Why is Kenji over there, Shido?" asked Tohka.

"He doesn't look too overjoyed," he responded, focusing on the screen.

"Recently, we have been hit by many catastrophes, Spacequakes, most of all. But I implore you to have faith in the ADC and the government of Japan, just like you have faith in our impeccable warning systems. I believe that together we can recover and rebuild but division only halts our progress."

"Hmph..." mumbled Kotori.

"The more we stand united, the more we can achieve. And let it be known that we won't surrender to these disasters that nature throws at us, and we will prevail. My sincere condolences to those who have suffered and been affected, but know we stand behind you. I stand behind you. Thank you."

"...and that seems to be it for the pre-conference speech. Now, the main conference itself is about to begin. Keep watching as we..."

"What did they do to Kenji? That didn't sound like him at all. Even Tonomachi wouldn't say that!"

"They must have found out about his involvement with you, Tohka. And if the AST—if not the Ground Force itself—is standing behind the ADC, then we're dealing with powers far beyond us."

"Oh no... Is this my fault? I didn't want to get Kenji in trouble..." said Tohka with concern.

"It's not your fault. Kenji wouldn't regret doing what he's done a bit," reassured Shido.

"On that, we can agree. No choice but to wait and hope he doesn't reveal what he knows about us," muttered Kotori with her lollipop.

"Kenji's not that kind of person, Kotori!" said Shido.

"Sure. You two should get rest, you look tired. We'll take you back to our home tomorrow."

"Tohka, you'll stay, right?" asked Shido.

She looked at him nervously, but slowly nodded.

"Good. Now off you go," said Kotori.

Reine walked the two off as she kept looking at the screen and paid close attention to the conference.

Later, Kenji eventually made it home, and fell on his bed, utterly exhausted.

The very next day, they were taken back to Itsuka's residence as the two stood in the living room. Shido remembered his conversation with Kotori they had before he was sent home.

"It's a shame your date was interrupted like that, but I'll settle for you both surviving."

"You said Origami was the one who pulled the trigger. Is that... true?"