Between Friends

Slumped into a corner of the cell, Eli munched a loaf of bread

Slumped into a corner of the cell, Eli munched a loaf of bread. Their jail cell spanned three arm lengths. The wooden base was universal throughout the ship and the scent of the salted ocean intermingled with gunpowder and spiced rum. "Amias." Eli chewed. "You're smiling. I've never seen you smile before."

"What? I smile."

"No, you don't." Eli's eyes rolled.

"Eli!" Amias exclaimed.

"What?"

"Did you inhale the food? I didn't even see you chew."

Eli raised the waterskin to his lips and gulped the dregs. "I was famished." He wiped dew from his mouth.

"Did you leave any for me?"

"Amias, you portioned it." Eli squinted. "Are you drunk?"

Amias conceded. "Maybe." He tore a piece of bread and chewed. "So has your mind changed? I don't think they'll treat us terribly."

"Amias, we're prisoners. Besides, that guy in the cell across has gone mad; he just murmurs and recites the alphabet." Eli looked to the blond-haired swain.

A meek voice called out. "I'm not crazy."

"What was that?" Amias answered.

"I'm not crazy. I just... I don't know what to pray for anymore; so I just say my letters and hope God figures it out."

"What's your name?" Eli asked.

"I'm Lucy. I'm from a village not too far from this place."

Eli chuckled to himself. That's a girl's name.

"And how'd you end up here?" Amias asked.

"I was abducted like you. He claimed our village bilked him and demanded women and children as fair compensation. When our village protested, they attacked and well, we lost." Lucy said.

"Did the Captain die in the assault?" Eli asked.

"No, why do you ask?" Lucy said.

"You said 'he' and as far as we know. A lady is the captain now." Eli looked at Amias.

"He must've passed in a later excursion or when we docked at Slaver's Bay." Lucy said.

Amias gave Eli a knowing look.

"I wasn't the only survivor. They figured they could sell me for better coin at a major port on account of my appearance."

"Is it because you look like a girl?" Eli was brazen.

Lucy sighed. "I suppose that's why they're so keen on your silver haired friend."

"My name is Amias and I'm nothing like you four eyes." Amias said.

"Choose kinder words, Amias. I like spectacles." Eli said. "What season was it when you were abducted?"

"It was summer. I heard you two talking. What are you going to do?"

"Survive." Amias answered.