Day 1

"(Y/N) sweety? Could you go down to the butchery and grab us some beef for dinner? I'm planning on making burgers tonight.", your mother was shouting up the stairs of your house. Your room was on the second floor, it was one of the largest rooms in the house. Small stuffed animals were strewn around messily, alongside the drawings you taped up on the wall.

She waited at the bottom of the stairs until you pulled yourself out of bed and trudged over to her.

"Have you been sleeping all day?!? I thought I told you that you need to do something useful with your life, especially after graduating. You know, it would be great if you got yourself a job!"

Here we go again. She always goes on rants about how you need to get yourself a job. Never has it crossed her mind that art was a worthwhile pursuit. You had been applying to art colleges and practically any job with art in the title, but nothing was of use.

"I'll go get the food, you got money?", You mumble out your words in a groggy state. She huffs and pulls out a wad of cash.

"Oh, and before you go, tell that nice ol' butcher I say hi!"

Ignoring her words, you take the money and pull on your favorite jacket. You don't even remember that you're wearing pajamas until you arrive at the doors of the butchery.

"Boys and Grills" was its name, a clever pun related to cooking. You thought it was a bit basic to be honest.

Glass doors of the building held bells that jingled as they opened, the inside was extremely basic. Off-white walls held framed pictures of animal anatomy. They portrayed the different cuts of meat each animal offered. Very fitting for a butcher. You shivered at the coldness of the room.

"Hello! What can I get for you today?"

You were brought out of thought by the butcher's deep voice. He was wearing a white apron with some not-so-subtle blood on it. Nothing out of the ordinary for a butcher, it was literally his job (Y/N), stop staring at it.

He seemed to notice you staring at the blood on his uniform, a slight smirk arrived onto his face.

"U-uh sorry, What's the cheapest cut of beef you offer here?" You stuttered out the beginning of your sentence.

Great, now he thinks you're awkward.

"Oh, we got a flank steak for around fourteen bucks each cut. Business has been pretty slow recently so I can give a discount for nine each if you buy multiple.", His words were spoken professionally.

You nodded and began to grab for the money in your pockets. The butcher walked into the storage room to grab what you needed. After trying your best not to stare, you had barely just noticed how insanely tall he was. Sure, he was quite broad too, but he literally towered over you.

His footsteps were surprisingly quiet as he walked back into the room, you jumped slightly when he dropped the meat wrapped in plastic onto the counter. He chuckled a bit at your reaction.

"I have 3 pre-cuts for you, want all of em'?"

"Yeah sure, thanks."

The money was handed over after you counted out twenty-four dollars. He grabbed it with hands still covered in flaky blood. His hands touched your slightly and you quickly wiped them off, onto your pajamas.

Oh right, you were still wearing pajamas. This man must have thought you were a weirdo at this point.

Quickly, you grabbed your items and rushed out of the shop in awkward silence.

After leaving, you could have sworn you heard him laughing from behind the closed doors.

After that entire situation, you were just glad to arrive home. Your mother waited impatiently; she held her hands out for the remaining money.

"I spent almost all of it, sorry." Your voice was quiet, money was a stressful topic for your family.

She scoffed," Only six dollars left? You better not have pocketed it for yourself."

Accusing as always. She quickly began to cook as you pulled out your phone nervously. None of your applications have been accepted yet, each one was responded to with a very politely worded rejection email. It would have the exact same effect if they just sent an email with the words "fuck off".

While scrolling through your timeline, your eyes fall onto a newspaper headline that was written about your town.

The title read," Yet Another Civilian Murdered in Mysterious Case, Don't Go Out at Night."

"Hey mom, did you know another person was found dead today?"

She laughed heavily as she flipped a patty," Those are all lies, they just want to scare us into not going out at night. I've never heard of that person in my life and our town is quite small."

A murder had to happen right in front of her, to make her believe it. Otherwise, she would just laugh it off and call if a hoax. Sometimes it was very frustrating, you believed all of the new articles coming out about murders. Paranoia was steadily growing in your veins.

Disappearances were also rapidly occurring, alongside the people claiming it was a "demon".

Shivers raced through your body, each and every person was killed in the midst of night. Bite marks had been found on the bodies which had been recovered. Every disappearance has been suspected to be murders as well, since the correlated with the already discovered bodies.

"Burgers are done, get off your phone and make yourself a plate."

Shutting off your phone, you grabbed some food for yourself. Thinking so much about all of the murder cases immediately took away your appetite.

Your mother flicked on the TV as the two of you ate, the first thing that popped up was a news story about the situation. She flipped the channels a few times to find a comedian performance. You could barely focus on the TV as you were thinking about one thing in particular.

Why did the meat taste so weird?