Prologue: Creation At Its Finest

Joey picked up the drawing Bendy had done for him, another for his vast collection and sent by post. At this point Joey's entire wall was lost under the paper artwork. This was one of Bendy's landscapes, a wonderful coloured piece of the Riegelmann Boardwalk in Brooklyn, a place Bendy had only seen on the crappy TV Henry had at home. He really needed to get that man an upgrade.

It was a good drawing, very realistic looking too. That demon would make a fine animator if he kept it up. Maybe Nathan Arch himself would hire him now that the man was up and running the Bendy cartoons again. Joey sighed as he realized, all his happiness for his son fizzling out. Bendy had no future, he wasn't even human, people would freak out. People would talk if they found out.

Bendy would be taken away.

The old man looked over at the Ink Machine sitting in his study and pinned the drawing to the wall as he stood up from his desk chair. It was quiet and sullen and showing it too. It wanted to be useful once again, it wanted to create. Instead it was left to sit under a black piece of tarp tied to it to keep it free of dust.

"Sorry old friend, I have no more use for you" he said sadly, patting it with a smile and wiling it to settle. "You made me a gift and I couldn't ask for more" he added, looking over at the drawings again. The room was quiet, an old Bendy clock ticking away on Joey's desk, the second hand locked in place and the minute and hour hand frozen. Joey frowned as he stared at it.

Bendy had no Future.

Then what was he to do?

An idea suddenly came to mind, like a lightbulb going off above his head. If Bendy couldn't have a future, perhaps he could create one that could. A human born from Ink & Darkness, that could talk and walk, and act just like you or me.

Could it be possible? Could it be done? 

He had all his old work books and blueprints, and a barrel of ink left. The same stuff he had used to make Bendy and bring him to life. It could be done! But what of a soul? Bendy's soul had been willingly given, but to get another one would be much too hard, and he was too old to be going and fetching one.

Joey paced his study and tapped his chin as he thought and thought, you could almost see the steam coming from his ears, and hear the cogs rolling in his brain. He really didn't want to be killing people again, nor did he want to fail. He had to get this right from the get go.

His eyes widened again as another idea came to mind, perhaps a piece of his own soul would work? A piece of the father, to be given to his child. Much the same way a father would pass on his DNA to his children. YES! That was it!

The Ink Machine groaned in its corner, gears whirring to life as it sensed its Master think. Joey smiled and clapped his hands, "Let's get to work, my dear. We have a lot to do" he said, pushing everything off his desk and fetching his work things stored in the closet.

They were dusty but readable, and thankfully not too bug eaten. He kicked away the shattered clock that was in his path and set the crate onto the table. Books, jars of old ink samples, scrapbooks and many other items sat inside it. Lost to time and age. Joey shook his head and pulled out his Journal and the almost finished copy of The Illusion Of Living and got to work.