Chapter 4: Bendy

Bendy knocked on the door to Joey's apartment and waited patiently with his backpack over one shoulder and a drawing he had done on the plane neatly folded under his arm. Henry and Linda had left all the suitcases back in the car to unpack later, hoping Joey had remembered to set up his guest room this time. Last time they had stayed at an old nearby motel and it hadn't been fun at all, bed bugs had reigned their terror on the poor family and Bendy had refused to step foot in another motel ever again.

Joey opened the door and smiled at the little family, "Welcome! Sorry, I'm still in the middle of setting everything up, but do make yourselves at home!" he said with a cheerful tone, stepping to the side so they could walk in. Bendy raced inside and set his backpack down on the coffee table, placing his drawing next to it ready for Joey to see, "I drew you another picture, Joey! Are you going to hang it up with the others?" he asked, removing the clothes Linda had put him in to disguise himself as human.

"Of course, I love your drawings, Bendy. Audrey? Come and meet the Steins... and your brother."

Everyone was still at the word 'brother'.

Henry was confused, Bendy more so than his parents, what did Joey mean by that and why did he feel dread. Audrey came out of the guest room with a clean pillow she was trying to stuff into a pillow case and smiled at them politely, "Hello! Nice to meet you!" she said, putting the pillow down and making sure her new dress was neat and tidy before she curtseyed the way Joey had taught her.

Manners were important.

"Joey? I didn't know you had family, let alone a daughter" Henry said, crossing his arms and frowning. Joey chuckled nervously and picked up the pillow, finishing stuffing it in for her, "I don't, I made her" he replied, giving the pillow back to Audrey and ushering her back into the guest room to finish up.

Henry looked at his wife and then back at Joey, "What do you mean you made her?"

"I made her, with the Ink Machine."

Bendy looked at the Ink Machine where it peered out from Joey's office, then down at himself, "But... she looks... human, not all cartoon-y or anything"

"Yes, exactly, a perfect human! She's going to have a good future too, I just know it. She'll be able to watch out for you Bendy."

"But... how? How did you make her?"

"I used a bit of my soul so she had something to stick to, but she's just like you, buddy, she's made of ink."

"Then whose soul do I have?" Bendy asked.

Joey stayed quiet and offered to help Henry and Linda with their bags instead of answering him, he didn't want to speak about it just yet. Linda gave a short nod at his ask and Henry picked up the puzzled Bendy and gave him a hug as she and Joey headed down to the car to grab their things. Henry rubbed his son's back and mentally grumbled at Joey's stupid-ness, "We'll figure it out later, for now you should rest up, it was a long flight and I know you're tired" he said, taking Bendy to the guest bedroom and lying him down on the neatly made bed. 

Audrey skipped out and left them to it.

"I thought you told him he wasn't allowed to use it anymore." The Ink demon commented.

"I did, but Joey doesn't like to listen. Once he has an idea he'll follow through with it no matter the cost. Sometimes it's dangerous..."

Bendy snuggled into the pillows looking sad and Henry kissed his forehead, "Get some sleep, I'll wake you for dinner."

~

Collin opened his eyes and tried to move, but his hands and feet had been bound in rope and there was a piece of nasty tasting fabric stuffed into his mouth. He tried to make some noise as he saw Joey fiddling with a large piece of machinery in the corner, hoping the man would give him some answers as to why he was tied up like this.

Joey turned to look at him as he heard his fuss and smiled as he put down the spanner, "Oh good, you're awake! Collin, this is my Ink Machine, it's a glorious creation and will help you become something amazing! I know you must be confused, but don't worry, once it's over I'll take good care of you. I know it's hard out there on the streets. But by my side you'll never know hunger again! You'll be the star of the show!"

And he could finally fire the Bendy cartoonists that were costing him so much money.

Collin looked at him with an even more confused look and tried to spit out the dirty rag in his mouth. He didn't know what Joey was planning but he assumed it was something very very bad. He struggled to his knees and noticed the black pentagram he was under, whatever it had been painted with was black and a little sticky, but otherwise dried up. 

What was this stuff?

Paint?

Ink?

Joey picked up a knife as Collin grew distracted and stared at his reflection in the shiny blade. He needed a shave, and a shower, but he would get to that later when his dreams had come true, "I'll make sure you won't feel a thing, Collin...." he said quietly, turning to face the terrified boy who had only just now noticed the knife in his hand. 

Collin let out a muffled scream and tried to shimmy his way to the open door, struggling to untie himself as he went. But it was all much too late, Joey grabbed his shackled wrists and pulled him back over to the pentagram, ignoring his struggling as he tried to free himself. 

"Don't make this harder than it already is, boy! I am giving you a gift!" Joey growled, throwing him back onto the sticky circle. Collin winced as he smacked into the ground, his fingers bruising upon impact as they were squished under his skinny frame. He froze as Joey pinned him down with his foot an held the serrated knife up, the blade glinting in the light of the naked bulb.

He shut his eyes tight, not wanting to see what happened next.