34. It's a Beautiful Day

Julia

My foot nudged the gas pedal one more time, putting me snugly in the middle of the gap left by two less-than-conscientious drivers- or at least, as close to the middle as I wanted to chance without tapping either one. I shut off INXS's "Devil Inside", pulled out the key, and heaved a sigh of relief. If there's any mild inconvenience in this world that instills pure, visceral dread within me, it is parallel parking. In the end, though, I should not have worried so much; getting out, I suddenly remembered I had been driving a Fiat, and there was enough combined room on either side of me to accommodate another one just like it.

I had arrived. New Orleans and all its wild, soulful glory surrounded me. I'd had to settle for a spot about two blocks south of the Roosevelt, as the entire stretch of road in front of the hotel had been blocked off as if for some tiny parade, so I wasn't too happy about having to walk- but I had made it just the same. Now that this hurdle had been cleared, those other, more familiar fears were free to come knocking and make themselves at home. However, for the sake of my mission, and therefore the sake of Freddie, I was putting off answering that door as long as possible.

Man, it sure is gorgeous out, I noted, squinting up at the bright noon sky. And this close to Christmas.

My pace slowed just a bit with the realization. In the last few days, I'd nearly forgotten how the most wonderful time of the year (to steal a phrase from Andy Williams) was supposed to feel. Even now, in balmy New Orleans, it certainly did not seem like Christmas was a mere three days away, despite the festive decorations hanging in windows and strung upon the lamp posts and street signs overhead- yet somehow, today, I could feel it. The wind whispered promises into my ear as I walked, singing softly of peace and joy that I would surely, surely know, as long as I kept moving.

I just hope Freddie doesn't laugh at me, or roll his eyes, or tell me to get lost; I'd rather he just ignored me altogether than that. It's embarrassing enough that I'm doing this unprompted-

"It's not unprompted, he called us last night," I muttered to myself, as I had countless times in the last hour and a half. "And again, however he reacts, or if he even sees me, is immaterial. As long as he's okay, that's all that matters."

I had to stop thinking these thoughts, they were only slowing me down. I needed positivity. Whatever else he was, Freddie was still such a wealth of optimism, and I often wished I could be more like him in that respect. I always found myself entangled by the circumstances; he on the other hand, surveyed the situation, accepted it, and then plowed forward anyway with his head held high.

"This is what I'm doing," I said aloud, imitating his accent, "this is how it's going to be, and no one's gonna stop me, and if you don't like it, then fuck off."

Automatically a smile started. No one's gonna stop me, the words rang again in my head, nourishing that weak little hope in my heart.

"It's a beautiful day..."

The words poured out of me as if by accident. I laid a hand over my mouth, startled- then pulled it away again. It was positivity I desired, after all- and songs didn't get much more positive than that one.

So I continued, a little louder. "It's a beautiful day / The sun is shining..."

I looked above me, smiling at the evidence as I approached the crosswalk. The Roosevelt was only a block away now. "...I feel good, and no one's gonna stop me now..."

Except someone did stop me.

Slammed right into me, in fact, coming around the bend.

The impact of his body threw me back a few paces. "What the-" I began, until I saw who I had bumped into- and my heart surged.