Chapter 3 - Potions

TW: Very slight mentions of smoking

Draco's POV

"... to detail in the preparation is the prerequisite of all..." Professor Slughorn spoke, though most of his words slipped right past my mind as I took subtle glances at Katianne. I saw her wavy brunette hair, with single strands of gold mixed along with it, sitting right above her shoulders. I saw how her light blue eyes glimmered, even with the dim light of the potions classroom.

I saw her rosy cheeks and small nose; I noticed everything about her, every small detail, every perfect flaw. All I wanted to do was hug her, take in her scent, tell her that I'm sorry for ignoring her, and that I want to be close with her again; to be able to talk to her again, hear her beautiful voice again.

"Ah. Harry, my boy. I was beginning to worry." The Professor spoke up, snapping me out of my daze as I heard the name of her twin brother. "We've got someone with us, I see." Slughorn then stated, curiously looking over at the pair. "Ron Weasley, sir." The redhead introduced, chuckling ever so slightly.

"I'm actually dead awful at potions, a menace actually; so I'll probably go-" Weasley started saying, but was cut off. "Nonsense. We'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out." Slughorn spoke.

"Uh, sorry, sir, I haven't actually got my book yet. Nor did Ron." Potter explained. "Not to worry, then, get you one from the cupboard." And they did as he said. "Now, as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?" Professor Slughorn quizzed, and obviously Granger raised her hand. "Yes, Ms..."

"Granger, sir." The Gryffindor girl said, walking forwards a bit, starting to explain what each of the potions are and what they do. "And this is Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumoured to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them. For example I smell freshly mown grass, and new parchment and... spearmint toothpaste."

"Thank you Ms. Granger. Can we have another volunteer please?" Slughorn requested, though I was too dazed by the beautiful scent that filled my nose that not a single word he said slipped into my mind. "How about... Mr. Malfoy?" Yet again, I was snapped out of my daydream. "Uhh-" I muttered, clearing my throat. "I smell... hot chocolate, cigarettes and..."

I started feeling dizzy again, subconsciously walking closer to the pot. It smelled exactly like her; Katianne. Memories of every time I was close with her flashed into my mind, every time I smelled her sweet scent; the smell that makes me feel safe, like I'm at home. Not the manor, no, something different, something better.

"...sunflowers." I blurted out, my eyes wide as I realised how affected I was; by her.

Katianne's POV

I looked over to the blonde boy, shock washing over me. I could be wrong, but that's how I smell. The hot chocolate scented candle I have on my bedside table, the sunflowers- Cedric got me (which he casted a spell on for it to last forever), and... well- I do still smoke, but I'm getting better; I don't smoke as much now, only once or twice every week.

"Now, amortentia doesn't create actual love, that'd be impossible-" Professor Slughorn started saying again, while Draco slowly went back to where he stood before, his pale cheeks slightly tinted red; and for a split second, I swear I saw him glance at me.

"-But it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." The Professor finished saying, shutting the pot so the four girls that walked forwards finally snapped out of their daydream.

"Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one." One of the girls declared. "Ah, yes. What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly referred to as-" He was cut off by Hermione. "Liquid luck."

"Yes, Ms. Granger, liquid luck. Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you'll find that all of your endeavours succeed. At least until the effects wear off. So, this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of liquid luck to the student who, in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable draft of Living Death. Recipes for which can be found on page 10 of your books. You should not doubt however: Only once did a student manage to brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this price. Nevertheless, good luck to you all. Let the brewing commence."

With that, people scattered around, starting to make their potions. But the whole time I was making mine, all I could think about was Draco. I still remember what I smelled from that pot, very vividly in fact. I could smell green apples, like the ones Draco eats all of the time; I could smell the strong cologne Draco always puts on, I could smell peppermint too.

I knew I didn't like him, not like that; he's just my friend- well, was my friend, he's been ignoring me for a while. Either way, I knew all he ever was to me was just a friend, he'll never be more than that; definitely not.

The whole class was just a blur, since my mind was clouded with thoughts like these. Finally, when class ended, I tried to catch up to Draco, feeling a strong need to talk to him, to smell his scent; but he rushed away before I got a chance, leaving me standing there alone as my sad eyes followed his shrinking figure that eventually faded away in nothing.

974 words

A/n: Hii! I'm acc rly excited to write tmrw's chapter; it'll finally explain y seamus was included on the 'characters' chapter ;). Either way, ima go now, expect a chapter soon bc dat's how excited I am :)))) ENJOYYYYY!!!!!