Chapter 19

"Failure, upon failure."

The gruff voice rumbles through the small area of the spacecraft, bearing down on a kneeling Lunaria. Hagra, in her usual place, wears her usual smug smile. Lunaria expected this outcome when she gave her report on her part of the plan, but it still didn't sting any less.

"However, you've enlightened us to circumstances that we can use to our advantage. For that, you may continue on with your machinations."

With her small victory, Lunaria gives the faintest of smiles to Xorn, bowing her head in appreciation. "Thank you, my liege." She notices how Hagra's smugness dims at being allowed to continue her plan.

"Be ready to depart with haste once the next phase commences." The room turns dark as the holo transmission ends. Lunaria stands, the lighter patches of skin more visible with the absence of a few more bandages. Her smile reaches her hazel and brown mismatched eyes.

"Time to get to work."

--

With the arrival of the Rose Moon in a few more days, the next week and a half became a blur of dress fittings, promotional tours around a few cities for Vivid's latest single, music video shoots for said single, pre and post ceremony preparations, and last but not least: family time. The Wanderstar Family try their best to squeeze over ten years of missed opportunities and filling in memory gaps during every dinner. It's the one activity they all share while decompressing from their busy days.

Mirth fills their home during this time, reaching all hearts and eyes. For Nira, the light of such happiness doesn't linger within her once dinner finishes. Every night after loading the dishwasher when the table is cleared, she makes her way down to the village. It took a while for her people to not stop pay reverence to her, and it also took stern insistence on her part for them to just treat her as they did before. So it fills her with delight to be able to walk amongst others without the fanfare.

Ever since the villagers regained their memories, the cream colored building previously in disuse seems to have also awakened. Work on reopening the building for public use went on day and night for a few days following the tribunal. The building, called a Dijsam, has become a haven for Nira as of late. Silver embossed letters of sacred text decorate the ceiling and walls, lit up by a large tiered chandelier. Reams of sheer, cream colored fabric and strings of jewels float down from the chandelier, wrapping around pillars. Their links between each pillar create a makeshift divide between the open carpeted area and the private booths used for personal recitation, reflection, or just a short snooze.

During the daytime, quiet worshippers mill about, small groups gathered around an ornate book on a miniature dais engaging in calm discussions, and children make use of the wide space, their giggles filling the tranquil atmosphere. This small piece of home, of T'Nnor, brings out a sense of peace in Nira. Adjusting the hood of her black, long sleeved ayaba, Nira checks her phone for any new messages, and finds none.

"I'm so glad you're growing out your bangs."

Nira looks up and sees Ria in her own purple ayaba, hood pulled over her hair. Pulling up a round cushion of her own, Ria plops it next to Nira and sits in front of the pillar that casts a long shadow in the natural light. "Still no reply from Valja?"

A sigh is the reply, along with a shake of Nira's head. "We usually talk every day, but ever since the tribunal, he's been frosting me out." The phone screen idles out and goes dark. Her reflection peers back, worry etched on her features. Idle fingers play with her overgrown fringe, judging its length. "It isn't like him," she states quietly before turning her gaze to Ria. "I'm not being clingy, am I?"

"If a guy was frosting me out like that, he'd be single before the first day was done," Ria replies, shaking her head with disappointment. "You have every right to be worried, and probably a bit angry. So, no, you're not being clingy." She nudges Nira with encouragement. "Why not just go see him? Sort this out before my wedding ceremony?" The feeble laugh is what she hoped for from her questions. "I think a week's been long enough to wait for a reply from him."