Chapter 16

"HEALER!"

All faces look up to Nira as she calls down to the village below during her descent, seeing a few guards scramble for a healer when they see that whomever is in her arms isn't moving. Once she touches the ground, Louis rushes ahead of the crowd to examine Madison.

"She's poisoned," he concludes at the sight of dark green veins before looking to where Madison's skin touches what's uncovered of Nira's. "It spreads through contact." He points to where faint green veins start to form on Nira's skin. "The poison is plant based, thankfully. I can extract the poison, but the healers will need to repair her internal damage. I think you'll be fine with just an extraction."

Guards and a few healers join them, placing a gurney down for Madison to be placed upon. She groans at being shifted, delirious but alive. Louis requests for the healer to insert a butterfly needle into her vein. Once done, he takes the other end into one hand, pointing it to the ground, while the other starts pulling on an unseen string from Madison's arm. Seconds pass before a green fluid passes through the tube and onto the ground, pooling into a sticky green substance. Those near take a cautious step back to avoid stepping in it. The green veins recede, and Madison's furrowed brows smooth out slightly.

The green fluid eventually seeps into the ground, disappearing altogether.

Once tinges of red can be seen amongst the green, Louis stops his pulling, handing back the tube to the healers before repeating the process for Nira, who is enraptured by the entire procedure. It's then that the puzzle pieces of her thoughts form a picture. The glowing forest tunnel, the extraction...there's only one conclusion. Louis notices her staring at him, who seems to smile as if acknowledging her suspicions.

As she opens her mouth, she hears Madison stir and try to sit up, assuring the healers she's fine to do that much until they're finished. Nira goes over to her side once Louis is done, the healers making a bit of space for her. "Hey, Madison. You're safe now."

Looking about at the crowd that's gathered, Madison remembers the events that lead her here, scanning for the cuts and scrapes she arrived with and found a few on the mend and most having outright disappeared. The same can't be said for her parched throat, finding it hard to rehydrate it with what little saliva is on hand. She looks to Nira, tilting her head to the side in confusion.

"Why are you wearing a hat?"

Nira glances upwards before smiling with a shrug. "Thought I had to blend in within the city to find you."

"What about your tail?"

"...oh." Nira turns her head at her tail, forgetting about it completely. She takes off the cap, revealing her usual fox ears, and helps Madison to stand once the healers cleared her for health, holding onto her wrists.

Once aching, shivering, and feverish moments ago, Madison could hardly believe she's back to general health so quickly. A shame healers couldn't cure thirst. She thanks them as she gets to her feet before turning her attention to Nira. "Thanks for rescuing me from that crazy cloak lady. She didn't even say what she wanted."

"Don't thank me yet."

Madison's quizzical features morphs into surprise at a metal click. The coolness of the cut cuff on her wrist Nira holds travels all over her body, turning something off within her. A hum that has been abruptly quieted. Fear etches into her face as she slowly brings her eyes to the cuff, stepping away from Nira as if burned. "No..."

In waves, dizziness washes over almost all villagers, gasping at the sudden onslaught of repressed memories. A few stumble, as they were just strolling to a destination. Others lose their balance but right themselves. Madison watches it all in horror at what's being undone from years ago. "What have you done..."

"You can't run away anymore, Madison," Nira softly says, watching the reaction of the crowd as well.

Madison's sight falls upon Ria and Josh, who are also caught in the tide. She locks eyes with her nemesis as they recall that day thirteen years ago. Two pre-teens, one full of anger and spite, the other confused and hurt. The former lashing out after her father left their now broken family.

Then wishing everyone could feel how she felt.

Lost. Without a place to belong. And fatherless.

"You did this..." Ria's pent up tears spill out. Madison shakes her head, not in denial, but in apology. "You made us forget..." Her teeth grit together in her rage as thin clouds start to form in the night sky and a light wind picks up.

"It...it was an accident!" The rest of the crowd gathers around her, just as angry at learning most of their lives were lived in a lie. A swarm of guards from the Mi Tal Nej break through the crowd and hold them back with shields, forming a wall. Ria manages to slip through before it seals shut with Madison and Nira in the middle.

Underestimating how fast her friend could be, Nira's only able to catch Madison after Ria's punch to her jaw. Crimson trickles from the corner of her mouth from the hit.

"Heal that, you little-"

A hand on her shoulder, not belonging to Nira, who is preoccupied with keeping Madison away, whirls her around. An angry face similar to her own meets her, but it doesn't diffuse the anger bubbling within. Andira signals for two guards to step into the middle. "You're going to confinement."

"Is it going on my record?"

"Naturally."

"Then make sure there's an extra copy for me, so I can hang it on my fridge," Ria angrily replies. She's then escorted out of the protective circle.

Andira watches them leave, sighing in exasperation. The commotion is something she expected, probably even her daughter giving a surprise left hook to Madison was expected. What she didn't expect was to be stared at by Nira, who's entire countenance is drenched in mournful sorrow. It pulls down her entire frame, her face sallow as she's lost in her memories. Andira had forgotten about this part, either willingly left until the last minute, or just so busy it escaped her thought.

Mentally reprimanding herself, Andira steps towards Nira. With each advancement, Nira doubles their distance while shaking her head.

"You're dead...I saw you die," she says with hushed words full of disbelief. With nowhere to back up to, Nira finds herself back to back with another guard. Her heart pounds quickly, thumping loudly in her ears. She looks down at her quivering fingers. "I...I held your hand while you were dying..."

Even Andira couldn't help being overwhelmed with sadness at Nira's words and broken state. A tear slides down her own cheek as she finally closes the gap. Gently she takes the trembling hands into her own. The touch is enough to calm her. Not because of the gesture, but because of how absolutely different it is. Her hands are that of a weathered fighter, and nothing like her late mother's.

"I'm not her, my dear. I'm her sister."