17 - Nightmares

"You want me to what?" (Name) asked as Kunikuzushi just stared back.

He gave them a blank look, "I'm asking if you want to sleep over at my house. Our art project is due in a week and we are three questions behind. Plus, we still need to do the final project."

(Name) froze, no way. No way would they be able to spend the night at Kunikuzushi's knowing full well that they had a crush on him. It seemed like he wanted them to, but he seemed nervous too. Judging by the way he chewed his bottom lip and fidgeted with his fingers, they were almost certain he was as nervous as they were.

Probably because he didn't invite people to spend the night often, that is. Not because he felt the same as (Name), that was even more unlikely than them spending the night at his house.

"Or if you don't want to come to my place, I could go to yours," he suggested. An offering, really. He must have been able to see (Name)'s hesitance.

"No!" They exclaimed at the suggestion, calming themself when they saw Kunikuzushi's alarmed expression at the sudden outburst. "No, your place is fine."

He smirked, "Works for me."

Oh there is no way I just did that, they thought. He knew I would react that way, he knew! And now I've agreed to sleep at his house? Great.

"Uh huh, sure." (Name) rolled their eyes, unimpressed, "Don't think I didn't notice your trick, Kuni."

He smiled innocently, "What trick?" He stepped forward to ruffle their hair and spoke while fixing it, "I'll come get you after class, okay?"

"Okay," they agreed. It couldn't be that bad, right?

-------

"Scara invited you over for the night?" Childe doubled over laughing. "I don't believe it! Zhongli, Zhongli, what do you think?" He glanced over at his lover, "Zhongli?"

Zhongli looked at (Name) with a dead stare. "And what did you say when he asked you to do this?"

"I said yes," (Name) replied in the same tone with the same look. They crossed their arms over their chest, "What of it?"

"I won't allow it." Zhongli shook his head, "I'm not letting you spend the night with some guy who clearly likes you."

"He doesn't like me, and it doesn't matter if you say yes or not, I'm going." (Name) was starting to get irritated, why did Zhongli think he had the right to say this kind of thing? They were twins for Archon's sake!

"(Name)," Zhongli said sharply. "You can't go over there for a night. What happens if he does something to you?"

This set them over the edge. "Don't even go there, you know he would never lay a finger on me if I told him not to." (Name) looked at Childe for back up, more of a glare, really.

"They're right," he nodded quickly. "He wouldn't even think of it."

"Still," Zhongli tried again. "I don't like it."

"It doesn't matter if you like it or not," (Name) stated again. "I said yes already, and besides, I can make my own decisions. Stop pulling the over protective brother card and get over it." They turned and went to look for Kunikuzushi.

"(Name)!" Zhongli called after a few moments.

"What?" They called back.

He hesitated, "Have fun and take care. I'll tell them you went to Venti's," he added, referencing their parents.

Zhongli had always felt more like a third parent than a brother. It was probably because he was so much more studious than (Name) was, and that was probably from the constant studying their parents had put him through. Every day after school since the beginning of second grade, their parents had given Zhongli extra lesson work to do. Eventually, they had pulled him out of the public school he and (Name) had been in to home school him.