twenty two

After asking many times to make sure that Lenore was truly alright with it and each time receiving a very positive and desperate answer and having checked his bank account to make sure he could afford to live on his own, H.G. rented the apartment. The process did not take long, the landlord was simply happy to have someone who wanted to move in and upon finding out that he was planning to move out H.G.'s roommates, according to him, seemed to have become very fond of the idea. He told Lenore that they seemed to have a replacement that was ready to move in a day after H.G. had informed them that he planned to move into his own place.

Lenore was ecstatic during the days leading up to H.G.'s move in date. Despite how nice an apartment to herself had felt for the first few days it had quickly begun to feel overly empty and no amount of canned soup could help the feeling. When the coffee shop was closed at night and the streets emptied while everyone slept Lenore found herself lonely and missing the presence of her roommate who never seemed to sleep.

One of H.G.'s old roommates, who according to H.G. had always been one of the nicer of his two roommates, helped him move in while Lenore watched from the shadows and inside the walls. H.G. knew that she was there, she made sure to remind him by waving an arm out of the wall when it was just him in a room or poking his arm with a corporeal finger when he neared her hiding spot.

Once all of the H.G.s boxes, most of which looked to be very heavy from the way they were carried up the stairs and the noises they made when dropped roughly on the ground, had been left in the living room, H.G.'s old roommate left, giving H.G. a long hug before he headed for the door.

"He seemed nice, I expected all of your old roommates to be completely awful," Lenore commented as she floated out of the nearby wall the moment the door closed.

"He is nice," H.G. confirmed, "he just didn't enjoy my constant working on inventions."

"So which of these boxes have super cool inventions because I have heard like everything about them but never gotten to see one," Lenore said, floating around the boxes as her eyes scanned each one which had been sealed easily with box tape.

"The boxes are labelled on their tops," H.G. explained as he moved towards the kitchen to look around the room. Like Edgar when he had first moved into the apartment, H.G. had not taken a tour of the home before deciding to rent it. "The larger ones had to of course be taken apart to be moved but none of them are too complicated to put back together," H.G. added over his shoulder.

"Oops I didn't get around to cleaning up after the soup I had last night," Lenore commented as she followed H.G. into the kitchen. "It's like sups exhausting to be fully corporeal to eat. I haven't actually checked the pantry but if there's old food still in there that's all Edgars fault. I don't trust that he ever thought to empty it when moving."

H.G. continued with a short walk around the apartment while Lenore spoke in his ear about the apartment and any comments she could think of mentioning.

"OMG do you want to see my attic?" asked Lenore as they left the room that had been Edgars bedroom.

"I thought you didn't allow others up there?" questioned H.G.

"I mean like not usually, it's kinda small and like my space but that's never kept people out of it before. Edgars old poems are still up there because he has never removed them. I was thinking about giving him them for his birthday," Lenore explained, "so do you want to see it?"

"If you would be alright with me seeing it, I would love to," responded H.G.

"I absolutely am," confirmed Lenore, "give me a hot sec, I have to move the box of Edgars poems from the hatch so that it can be opened."