2.

Elizabeth woke up exhausted. She had never slept well in new places and the excitement and anxiety of starting classes had left her with a restless night. The anticipation of finally starting the school she'd always dreamed of was almost too much.

For whatever reason, when choosing her outfit for today Elizabeth couldn't get Enid's comment about her roommate out of her head. She doesn't like colour so a black and white theme seemed apt for today. Elizabeth decided on a black dress with a white long sleeve underneath to keep warm, and black and white striped tights. One of her go to outfits anyway but the idea of impressing Enid's mysterious roommate made her love it even more.

Enid's knock was perfectly timed after Elizabeth had finished applying her makeup. 'Oh my god I love your outfit! It's so cute! Ok so we have maths first. The boring stuff that we still have to do even at this school. I invited Wednesday to walk over with us but she didn't seem to keen. She's not a fan of, well, people I guess but she's great when you get to know her!' Enid's rambling whilst welcoming was completely going over Elizabeth's head. Wednesday. So that was her name.

~•~

The classroom was just, grand. Elizabeth couldn't think of any other words to describe it. There were tall windows on the outside wall. The brick walls had intricate patterns on them that made the room feel like it was part of a castle. Enid's voice interrupted her thoughts 'Elizabeth, come and sit with me! Wednesday sits on this table too, she should be here soon.' 'Ok sure' Elizabeth replied with a smile. She was grateful to have a familiar face with her. Elizabeth sat rubbing her thumb over the knuckles of her fingers staring at the door waiting for something, or someone. 'You do that a lot' Enid said. 'What?' 'You play with your hands a lot.' 'Oh, sorry' Elizabeth placed her hands under her thighs stopping any movement. 'No! i'm sorry i didn't mean it was a bad thing it was just an observation. I thought maybe it was stress induced so wondered if you wanted to talk about it I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable.' Elizabeth could see the sincerity in Enid's face. She could tell she could trust her. 'It's fine erm, i'm autistic it's a self soothing thing. I don't really like telling people, I've been made fun of for it before.' Enid's gave a soft smile, 'I'd never judge you for that. If there's anything I can ever do to make you more comfortable please tell me.' 'I will, thank you Enid.' 'Can I hug you?' 'Yes of course, thank you for asking' Enid reached across and gently enveloped Elizabeth in her arms.

'It's not even 9am and you're already nauseating me Enid.' Enid let go of you and you both turned to the monotone voice that had disrupted your hug. Elizabeth was immediately in awe. The girl in front of them wore a black dress with a white collar. Her black hair hung in neat plaits down her front. 'Wednesday! This is Elizabeth, the girl I was telling you about! I said she could sit with us I hope that's ok.' Enid said in her usual bubbly tone. Elizabeth snapped out of her trance 'Hi, erm sorry I can move if you want.' She really hoped Wednesday wouldn't accept that offer. 'No. I don't care enough to make you do that.' Wednesday said as she sat down in the seat next to you. 'Enid, Thing wants you to paint his nails later.' 'Ooh ok, did he say what colour, does he want sparkles again?' Wednesday shrugged. Elizabeth decided to brave it and ask, 'Thing?' Wednesday didn't look away from whatever point she was staring at directly in front of her. 'A friend of ours.' The conversation stopped there as class started.