A Piece of Them

Months passed by and soon Roshni was nine months pregnant. She didn't have many difficulties in doing anything because Aman used to try his best to make the whole pregnancy phase easier and more enjoyable for her. One night, the both of them were talking about things and laughing about their old mischiefs. 'Roshni, I think our baby will be like you. Always doing some kind of mischief.' Roshni said 'no Khanbaba. I think the baby will be like you. He or she will be the goody two shoes. Our next baby will be mischievous and do all the mischief and this one will support them and take all the blame just like how you used to do for me.' Aman grinned and went to fill the jug with water.
       Roshni was still sitting when she suddenly felt a sudden pain. She ignored it for a while and stood up slowly to get into bed. As she fully stood up, some liquid flowed down her thighs and she realised what was happening. She was standing there with a shocked expression when Aman came in holding the jug of water. He put down the jug and looked at her confused. 'What happened Rosh?' 'Khanbaba, water.' He looked at the jug he just kept on the table and said 'Jaan I already got the water. It's right there' he pointed. Roshni looked at him and slapped her head lightly. 'Khanbaba, I mean my water broke and I think I'm having contractions.' It took a second for Aman to register what she was saying. 'What? Oh my God, but how so soon? Your due date was next week right?' 'Are you actually stupid or are you pretending? You're saying like the baby has a calendar to look at the date and come out exactly on the correct day.'
       Aman picked up the hospital bag and helped Roshni walk down the stairs. They got into the car and drove to the hospital. Roshni was admitted for her delivery and Aman went outside to call Kabir and informed him about their whereabouts. Roshni's contractions were getting more and more painful each time and Aman was holding her hand during the entire process. A few hours later she was fully dilated and going to be shifted to the labour room. Both families came just before she was taken and wished her luck. Aman went inside with her and gave her courage to push harder. He had tears in his eyes from seeing his love in so much pain. He kissed her forehead and her hand several times throughout the entire time, comforting her that everything will be fine and soon the symbol of their love would be in their arms. After half an hour of pushing, they heard a cry. The tears in Aman's eyes flowed down hearing the cry of their baby. They looked at each other and smiled. He cut the umbilical cord and the doctor handed Roshni their son. She held him and Aman admired them both from behind her. The nurse took the baby to clean him up a bit and Roshni was also being taken care of so Aman went outside to tell their family the news. They all stood up when they saw him and looked at him expectantly. 'It's a boy' he said and they all cheered in happiness. 'And Roshni? Aman how is Roshni?' asked Rubina. 'Roshni is also fine. They're both being taken care of and will be shifted to the room soon. Everyone hugged and congratulated him.
       Roshni and their son were soon shifted to the room and their families were admiring the baby and asking Roshni about her health. 'Thank you Roshni for giving us the joy of seeing your child and our next generation' said Dadi. Aman pouted and said 'Dadi you're saying as if only she had taken all the efforts. I also contributed.' Roshni blushed and looked down while Dadi held his ear and said 'donkey from somewhere'. 'Ahhh Dadi let me go. You can't do this to me in front of everyone. See I also have a baby now. What will he think if he sees this?' Junaid said 'he will think that his father deserves a few more and held his other ear. Everyone laughed while Aman hid his ears with his hands. He made an annoyed face but seeing Roshni laugh after going through all that pain, his heart began beating faster and he too began laughing with everyone.