Chapter 41 - Dagenham

Ian

I arrived at Steven's flat block in Dagenham. Of course, it didn't have the best smell; illegal substances, urine and a mix of cold winter air. But the people I passed were at least nice, the group of boys in black who hung around the courtyard didn't bat an eyelid apart from staring at my car. They were young lads, so I said "You lads wash my wheels I'll pay you" and to that they got straight to the job.

I walked up three floors to Steven's floor. I could see the car park from there too. 'Good vantage point', I thought. And soon I was at his flat.

My leather-gloved hands knocked three times.

Soon, a lady who looked roughly around his age came to the door.

"Yes, how can I help?" She asked.

"Madam, I'm looking for Steven." I replied. "He is my assistant and something urgent I need his skills for has come up. However he called in sick so I also wanted to check on him." She seemed to buy the story, but something still felt strange.

"Ah, you must be Ian. Please, do come in!" She said with a smile. I smiled back and followed her into the sitting room. The room was small, but still felt homely with the leatherette chairs and wooden furnishings. I stood to look at the showcase cabinet. It had a few photos, a few of him and his wife, and one more of him and a man who somehow seemed familiar but I couldn't quite put a finger on it...

"Tea?" She offered from the kitchen.

"No thank you, I won't be here long." I replied, still scanning the showcase. There were a couple of awards, one from previous companies I knew he'd worked for and one... Victoria Cross?

For those who don't know, the Victoria Cross is one of the highest medals a soldier can earn. I suddenly realised who was in the photo.

'No... can it be?' I thought. 'If that's the case- then—'

"You'll have to wait for Steven, he's just nipped out. Says he has to make a call." She said, causing alarm bells to ring in my mind.

I needed to get out.

I sent a text to Mansoor from Hamaayat Security.

"Backup may be needed. Possibly in danger rn. Possible firearm too, someone has army relations here. You have my location."

"A team and I are on our way." He replied.

I sent the text, praying to Allah that I would be saved.

"Ah, Ian! What are you doing here?" Steven said as he walked in.

I turned around, my expressions hiding my thoughts.

"Steven! You called in sick recently, and you're not picking your phone up. You okay?" I asked, still doing well to conceal my need to get out.

"Ah well, I've been off here and there..." he stopped talking and his face fell. He looked past me to the showcase. "Can we talk outside please?" He asked, and I nodded. "Mary! I'm gonna lead Ian out!" He shouted to the kitchen.

"Yes dear of course, thank you for coming Ian!" She shouted back.
"Thank you for your hospitality!" I replied.

Soon we were outside. On the rooftop.

"What's up?" I asked. Steven took a big sigh before speaking.

"It has taken a long time to get to you." I was confused at first, but then he explained. "See, I know you saw the showcase. I just wish you recognised the man in the photo. Because he was everything to me." Steven started to break down into tears at this point.