twenty two

'There will be no yelling at people who are bleeding themselves to unconsciousness.'
Kristin Cashore

Violet's POV

     Woodbury. It was dark out and they had people on watch with bright lights and heavy weaponry. Michonne took use around the side of the town and broke into a building. We ended up tying some guy up who entered the building.

      "You guys ready?" Rick questioned. We all just nodded and raided the metal building. Throwing smoke bombs, I was able to grab Maggie from the cloud of smoke. Bullets were flying everywhere and I felt a hit to my side. The vest didn't cover good enough. I was knocked down but quickly got myself back up, not wanting anyone to know I was injured just yet.

    We got the couple out of the building as we hid between other buildings as chaos spread amongst the town. I held my side, my hand was wet. I was bleeding.

      "Merle did this," Glenn stated.

      "My brother is the governor?" Daryl asked, shocked.

     "More like his lieutenant. He did this to Glenn," Maggie responded.

    I watched as Rick talked Daryl down from going out there to find Merle. That Daryl was with us and he nodded. I peeked at my side from the little light coming from the window. My side was bleeding pretty heavily. I zipped my jacket up. I tried to keep my breathing steady. It was just a graze through. Clean. Bullet went right in and right out. I don't believe any major organ was damaged but I needed stitched up and to get the bleeding to slow down.

     "Alright. We gotta get you guys out of here. Ready?" Rick looked at Glenn who nodded. We bolted from the building, throwing smoke bombs to hide ourselves as we made our way to the fence. Oscar, one of the once inmates helped everyone over the fence. He got shot in the chest and fell down. "Fuck!" I sighed and shot him in the head so he wouldn't turn.

     Once we were over the fence and gathered we realized Daryl was gone and Michonne was back. "Guys, I'm hit and I'm about to pass out." I admitted.

     I could feel my head get light and dizzy. I was warm and cold at the same time. "What?" Rick looked at me and I motioned to my side. I pulled my jacket up and blood was gushing from the two wounds it made. My jeans were soaked red.

     "Dammit. Michonne, can you get Glenn and Vi back to the car? We'll go after Daryl." Rick asked and the woman nodded. Thats when everything went black.

______

       I woke up in my cell, my shirt off except my bra but I had an ace bandage wrapped around my torso. I tried to sit up but winced in pain so I laid back down. There was a water bottle and some pain killers beside my bed so I went ahead and took some.

    "Fuck this," I groaned and sat up, dealing with the pain. I found a clean shirt and slipped it on. I held onto the wall as I made my way out of the cell and down the stairs to the main area. Hershel, Beth and the baby sat talking. "What day is it?"

     "We haven't known that answer for quiet awhile but its been a day since you returned." Hershel joked. "Glad to see you up but take an easy. Dont pop any stitches."

     I nodded and sat down at one of the tables and Beth brought me a bowl of soup. "Thank you," I was starving even though my whole abdomen ached. "Where is everyone?" I questioned.

      "Fortifying the courtyard in case of an attack. Rick is out wondering. Daryl never returned with you guys.He left with Merle." Hershel stated. "Maggie is in her cell napping."

    I nodded and kept eating my soup. Hershel said he was gonna step outside for some air. "The vest didn't help so much, huh." I joked.

    "It was pretty crazy?" Beth asked. I nodded "Pretty crazy." Just then we heard gunfire outside. I instantly grabbed a gun telling Beth to stay with the baby. Maggie came running so I tossed a gun to her. We ran out to the courtyard, my side screaming in pain.

    We were under attack by the Governor. He killed Axel. Carol shielded herself under his body. Maggie and I made our way up a tower and started shooting at them. We could see Hershel laid in the field as a truck busted through our fence and let out walkers. Rick was pinned against the fence but no way I could take the shot.

     Just then Glenn and Michonne came to the rescue driving the pickup into the field and getting Hershel. The Governor let up and left. I could see Daryl and Merle standing there as Rick caught his breath.

    I made my way down the tower and opened the gate for Glenn to drive through. I could see my side oozing blood, I popped stitches. Hershel wont be happy.

   Rick's POV

      After the attack we all migrated inside wondering our next move. Vi laid still as Hershel restitched her side up. Everyone was quiet. "We have to have eyes out there at all times. We'll rotate watch. Keep stock of our ammo, possibly make a run to find some more. Maggie, Glenn, you two take first watch. I'll come relieve you shortly." I stated.

       When Hershel was done with Vi I figured it was time to speak with her about some things. She put her shirt back on and I walked into the cell. I didn't know where to start. I didn't blame her for Lori's death. I knew it was a possibility but I had hope with the situation. Having Hershel, Vi with her EMT training, Maggie and Carol with some tips Hershel taught them, I believed it would work out but it simply just didn't. I love Lori and always will. She's the mother of my children but she wasn't my wife anymore but that grief was there. Not just for me but for my son and now daughter having to grow up without her mother.

     "Hey," I whispered and sat on the cot beside her.

    "Hey," She responded and looked at me with those blue eyes that almost matched mine.

     "I'm not mad at you and I still love you, I just need some time to process everything. I don't know how long that'll take and I don't expect you to wait around for it but I don't blame anybody except for that inmate." I stated. "I'm uh, hearing things and seeing Lori in her wedding dress. I'm not doing fine. I also saw Shane back at Woodbury so I just need time to clear my head."

      "I don't mind waiting, Rick. I see what's going on in your world so I completely get it. Whenever you're ready to let go and love again, I'll be here because I love you and always will. I'm so sorry for what's happened but we'll all get through it. You'll get through it. I promise." She responded. "Waiting for you doesn't make me weak, makes me stronger because this whole mess has been one hell of a love triangle. Love square..."

   "You're for sure not weak. You got shot and didn't tell anybody for twenty minutes, until passing out. You're a damn good woman and I do love you. I just need time to make things right in my head and with my son." I admitted. She just nodded and squeezed my hand. I was glad to have her in my life.