Chapter 8

There she was on the road again. Sitting at the side of the infamous cat lady. Lol.

Jade looked out the window, watching the cars pass by and the people moving in a blurry speed. She always loved cars but now it only left a sour memory at the back of her head.

The sound of a phone vibrating cut her from her pity party. It was Scarlett's phone. The older girl picked up without taking her eyes off the road and also succeeded in putting the call on speaker.

It must be a force of habit. Jade thought.

"HEY BOO!!!" A cheerful voice echoed through the phone, making Jade wince.

"Hey, Astrid." Scarlett replied unenthusiastically.

"Aww, What's got my baby up in a bunch?"

"First of all, don't call me baby." Scarlett sighed. "Second of all, I'm in a bunch cause my dad just had to put me on babysitting duties!!"

"I'm lost."

"Right now, I'm riding to my apartment with a kid my dad just had to adopt last minute." She explained

"So...your sister?"

"She is not my sister." She spat. "Her family died in a car accident years ago."

Silence echoed from the other end, making Scarlett sigh.

"What?" She asked.

"Is she there in the car with you, Scarlett?" Astrid asked softly.

   Immediately, Scarlett felt regret. Once again she allowed her big mouth to control her. She switched off the phone and looked at Jade who was sobbing into her palms.

"I'm sorry."

No response

"Sometimes I just say things and they just..." She started but stopped as she noticed the atmosphere in the car begin to get colder. The AC wasn't on so...

She saw Jade ball her hands into a fist, like she was trying to force down something. The steering wheel of the car began to stiffen and that's when it hit her.

"Jade? Jade?!" She called trying to turn the steering. Good thing they were on a lonely road. "Jade you gotta stop whatever you're doing?!"

No response

"Jade! Stop!"

The younger girl looked up at her in tears as she whispered. "I can't."

The car suddenly came to a halt but the concrete, fence and grass around it flew away, like a force was pushing them away.

"Jade look at me." She called softly, earning the younger girl's attention. "Try to match my breathing."

Jade tried this and in seconds, everything went back to normal; besides the things that got destroyed. The car started moving again and Scarlett drove quietly passed the scene of the incident before it attracts unnecessary attention.

                               *****

~~JADE~~

We finally arrived at Scarlett's apartment. It was very comfortable and big for just one college student. It was a one bedroom flat.

The rest of the car ride was silent as Scarlett didn't speak to me. I think she was scared of me. Who wouldn't be?

We made it inside with Scarlett rolling her bags to her room. I guess I'm sleeping on the couch, then. I stood my bag by the door and laid on the couch, allowing questions to cloud my mind.

Scarlett had calmed me down. How?

She was relaxed. How?

She didn't throw me out the car in an instant. How?

"How?" A voice said making me jump. Scarlett rolled her eyes and sat close to me on the couch. "How did you do that?"

She was asking about my... ability.

"I don't know." I whispered with my head bowed.

"How long had it been happening?"

"Since I was five." I said. A lone tear escaped my eyes at the memory. I'm so weak at times.

"Was it what...killed your family?" she asked again, staring intently at me.

Flashbacks instantly came flooding in. Mom, dad...Norah. The look of fear she had in her eyes for me. I didn't mean to do it. I couldn't control it.

Once again, the air felt heavy. My hands got heavy and I felt like I was being pumped with...pain. I needed to let it out.

But then, arms wrapped around me. Skinny but... comforting arms.

Scarlett?

"It's ok. You're okay. Just breathe." She cooed softly.

I felt my breathing stabilize and the air returned to normal. Scarlett got up and took my bags.

"There are two bedrooms here. Come."

I followed her to another room close to hers. It was huge. She closed the door but muttered something before leaving.

"It's gonna be okay." She smiled.

I think I've got the wrong cat.

______________________________________

A/N

Sorry for the late updates. Anyway I hope you love this chapter. I wanna rush things to the main point.

Also how do you find the first person point of view?

Vote | comment

Love y'all xx