Chapter 12

It had happen again.

She had done it again.

"What is wrong with me?" She cried as she hugged her knees, trying to muffle her sobs. Fear gripped her as she thought of the inevitable.

What if someone saw? What if they had called the police?

How was she going to explain that she did not mean to take Dean's emotions? That she hadn't meant for him to pass out?

"Scarlett?!" Her father's voice called as he dashed into the room, knocking on her door eagerly. "Honey please come out. It's going to be okay, I promise."

"Please go away. I'm not safe." She mumbled, crying immensely.

"Please open the door."

She stood up ever so slowly and made her way to the door. She unlocked it, refusing to look him in the eye. Her head was down as she found comfort staring at the floor.

"Look at me, honey." Gabe said calmly. He had noticed the change in her behavior over time. He had chosen to stay silent as he didn't want to pressure a teenager, but now he had to ask. "What's going on, Scar?"

She sniffled, still facing down. This was not how the year was supposed to go. This was her highschool years for God's sake. She was planning on going to parties, getting unnecessarily drunk, feeling life up with her boo. But it went down fast. Now her dad was going to find out he got a freak as a daughter.

"You can talk to me. Does this have anything to do with your anger issues?" He asked. Her emotions had always been heightened as a child, especially that of anger as she was always angry at a certain woman who lived with them.

Her mother, Lucia.

"Y...yes." she stuttered on the brink of tears.

"Please talk to me. I'm your dad. It's my job to know that you're safe."

"Can we sit?"

"Of course, baby." He cooed as he led her to her bed where he sat expectantly, staring at her.

"I don't know what's wrong with me, dad." She sighed. "I just..."

"Relax and speak, Scar."

"Recently, I noticed I've been able to do some strange things and I...I can't explain them."

"What...things?"

"I can feel people's... emotions and not just that. I can take them as well. I can also channel mine and I don't know why. I did it at school with this boy, Dean and he passed out and I ran and.." she rambled with teary eyes.

"Shh." Gabe said as he pulled his daughter in for a hug. "We'll figure all this out. Don't cry."

What the.., she thought as she stared at her father in confusion. He was taking this better than she thought.

"I'm different. A freak. Aren't you..." She started but was cut off.

"Don't finish that sentence. I know you're... different. But you're still my Scarlett. I love you no matter what. And that will never change." He said, kissing her forehead.

"What about mom? She'll hate me."

"I'm sure she'll understand. Now we have to figure out what's up?"

"How are we gonna do that?" She said while wiping her tears, mentally grateful for a father like him.

"You can start at the library. Try reading books about the brain and emotions." He said. "Also, you need to get back to school."

"Yeah. Okay." She said before moving towards her bathroom to freshen up.

"Scar?" Gabe called, making her stop and turn to him.

"Yeah?"

"I love you." He said. Tears brimmed in her eyes as she ran to him and engulfed him in a hug.

"I love you too, dad." She put pulled away, still smiling at him. "I have to get to the library." She said before heading to the bathroom.

                             *****

"And that's where I came into the picture." Astrid beamed, interrupting Scarlett's story.

The trio were currently on their way back to the apartment while Scarlett narrated her story to Jade...after much disturbance from Astrid, of course.

"How?" Jade asked, engrossed in the story.

"Well...I was at the library helping our elderly librarian organize the books some students just HAD to scatter." Astrid said, rolling her eyes. "When I noticed a depressed girl dash in, running straight to the aisle on mental insanity."

"I was going through a phase, okay" Scarlett defended when Jade giggled.

"Don't interrupt my story." Astrid warned. "So me being me approached the girl who looked like absolute shit and I recognized her from maths class. I asked her what books she wanted and she said 'i want a book on emotions and insanity'. And I'm like 'what?' She refused to tell me her deal. So...I kept stalking her and cornering her in the library whenever she was feeling insane. In time she was able to open up to me and told me about her...issue."

"Then what?" Jade asked.

"Then I remembered I had read a historical book that made mention of some people called empaths. They had the same abilities. Using that book and help from Scar's dad, we were able to help her control her gift. The end." She grinned.

"Wow." Jade said staring ahead.

"Yeah, I know. I'm practically the hero here." Astrid smirked.

"Sure, why not." Scarlett said staring at the road ahead.

"And...what about your mom?" Jade asked. Immediately Scarlett stepped on the brake causing the car to have an abrupt stop, making the girls jolt forward.

Who said seatbelts were for nerds? Show yourself.

"We don't speak about her." Scarlett said before starting the car and driving.

"Actually..." Astrid started. "I think she should know about her. She should know that people like that are out there." She said with venom, startling Jade. She wasn't used to this side of Astrid.

"My..." Scarlett sighed. "Lucia found out about my gift. Well...we told her. She deemed me a freak and attempted to sell me to a government lab." She said, chuckling dryly. "My dad was able to save me by lying about everything but I was still observed. They got divorced some years ago." She finished.

"Good riddance." Astrid said. "Anyways, that's why you should keep this a secret. For your own good."

"Okay." Jade whispered, feeling fear build up in her. If this information gets in the wrong hands, she could become a lab rat.

Instantly, she felt the fear seep through her, like it was being...taken. She looked up at Scarlett, who gave her a small smile. It'll take a while to get used to this.

"Uhh...guys?" Astrid said. " Who are those people?"

Jade looked up to see Scarlett's apartment surrounded by black SUVs and some men in black suits, circling it. There was also a lab coated man amongst them. It looked like something from a movie.

"Let's get outta here." Scarlett spoke, sounding panicked as she slowly reversed the car and attempted turning around. One of the men saw and pointed at them, making the rest run to their cars.

"Shit." Astrid muttered.

______________________________________

A/N

Sorry for the late updates 🥺🥺. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It's about to get real 😏😏😏.

Don't forget to comment and vote, okay? Also tell me who's your favourite amongst the girls. Mine's Scarlett.

Love y'all xx ❤️❤️