Episode 21.2 - Cold Conversations

As she had been for the past week, Robyn was buried in the warmth of the covers. The warmth that couldn't calm or soothe the aching anxiety in her heart. She stared up at the wooden ceiling, her mind constantly and involuntarily playing her memories back.

The darkness after entering Secondworld.

That maddening chase through the minecart tunnel.

The Perforators trying to eat her.

The Slime God almost swallowing her whole, almost dissolving her down to nothing.

But none of that compared to what preceded all of that.

Calamitas.

The way that witch had brutally murdered those citizens with her unthinkable power. All while Robyn had been forced to just lie there and watch.

Her eyes taking the beating.

Her mind taking the punishment.

Her ears heard the sound of a door opening. Closing.

"Good evening." It was William. He sat down on the bed next to her, and she tried to crane her neck to look at him. "You okay?"

"I don't know..."

He just nodded. "It's okay. I know sometimes it's hard to put feelings into words."

"Thanks," she breathed. "I guess it's just that... I never feel like I'm really capable of standing up to any of the monsters we fight. I'm always hiding, just shooting with my bow while the rest of you get up-close. I can't handle being at the forefront." She stared down at the lump of her body beneath the covers. Her frail, weak body.

"And I got cursed by the Cultists," she added. "The Golfer died by my hand. So did the Mechanic. And more citizens died in the battle I brought forth. I just..." She sighed.

"The Lunatic Cultist is dead," William assured. "Sid killed him. And might I remind you... you were the one to take down Cthulhu in the end. The rest of us had been knocked down, but you finished it. Don't you feel like that redeemed yourself?"

"For a while, I think it did," Robyn replied. "Everything was peaceful. I could just... enjoy being with you, knowing the worst was behind us. Except... it isn't." She looked up at him.

"I wish the worst could be behind us," William muttered. "But it's not. We have a new threat to deal with. Maybe you could talk to Sid about this, he told me he feels bad about it. But yeah. I too wish we could just live in peace. Honestly... I wish we could figure out how to get back to the real world."

"That still bothers you?" Robyn asked.

"Yeah. Do you wish that?"

She thought for a few moments. "Honestly... not really. I guess I'm just afraid of what it might be like. This world... it may be so super dangerous and frightening, but the way it works, I'm used to it. I know how to handle it. But the real world's completely different. When we first woke up, you, me and Sid, we all felt used to the real world because that was all we could remember. But now... I feel more used to this world. Though yes... the real world doesn't have monsters or evil witches trying to kill us."

"I get what you mean," William said, though he didn't elaborate. "It's honestly just wishful thinking at the moment. Right now, we have to get as strong as we can, and figure out a way of getting back to Firstworld. Our home." He pulled out an item from his inventory.

It was a gold-trimmed bow.

When it entered Robyn's inventory she saw it was named the Lunarian Bow, and it dealt around the same amount of damage as her Shellshooter but looked to be a much more traditional type of bow. She rose from her bed, the covers sliding down, and drew back an arrow on its glowing blue-purple string. Letting it loose, the arrow transformed into a beam of green energy, launching itself with a strangely comical pew sound. The blast shot into the opposite wall of the room and impacted with a light thump.