Chapter XLIX

Damiana's POV

Mother and I kept chatting in the car. I was telling her about all the things I've been up to well not everything, but you know. It really warmed my heart seeing her because I haven't seen her in a while and the fact that she was in good health was a cherry on top. 

My mother was born in Italy, but her parents moved to Missouri when she was little. She met my father while working as a waitress at one of the restaurants, when he was traveling for business.

Apparently, my father courted my mother for two years before she agreed to a date. She claimed she had been asked by many businessmen before, so she just thought father wanted to pass time with her. 

They had been together for more than twenty years when father died, and mother relocated to Italy to be near him, where he was buried. As we were reminiscing and joking, my phone rang.

Damiana: Mi scusi
(excuse me)

Mila: Va bene
(it's okay)

I sigh before answering because I knew it was trouble.

Damiana: Ivan? cazzo (sigh) okay I'll be there. 

I end the call and turn to my mother who was looking at me worriedly.

Mila: Va tutto bene? 
(is everything okay?)

Damiana: non è niente di cui dovresti preoccuparti, ti dispiacerebbe stare con Theo mentre risolvo questo?
(it's nothing you should worry about, would you mind being with Theo while I sort this out?)

Mila: Certo che no 
(of course not)

I gratefully nod then pull out my phone and make arrangements with Theo who luckily was in downtown about to get a massage, so she didn't mind. After making arrangements with Theo, I call Alyssa to let her know we might come back a little later.

Alyssa: hello?

Damiana: amore uh I think we might come a little later because there's something that desperately needs my attention.

Alyssa: oh okay

Damiana: are you sure you're okay with that?

Alyssa: yes baby it's fine.

Damiana: thank you I love you.

Alyssa: I love you too, see you later then.

Damiana: see you later amore.

I end the call and release a sigh of relief because Alyssa is my number one priority so if she wasn't okay with this, I'd have to make another plan. My chauffer drives to downtown and drop off mother to Theo then I go to the warehouse. 

When I get there, I find Ivan waiting for me outside in this snowy November weather, I get out of the car then we start walking inside. 

Damiana: what is it that couldn't wait?

Ivan: we found a mole in our operations.

I pause and stare at him because what did he just say? We can't afford to have a mole, who knows what he knows and how much damage that can cause, fuck. 

I try by all means to collect my cool before I lose my shit. The moment I stepped in the torture chamber my eyes landed on Pedro, he's one of the people in my top circle. I look to Ivan and he looked as disappointed as I was.  

Damiana: has he talked?

Ivan shakes his head no while I stand in front of Pedro's battered and bruised body.

It appears that no one can get the job done around here anymore, so I put on my butcher apron and rubber gloves and walk to him. When I get to him, I slap him, which awakens him.