05. Cheesy, Not so cheesy Dinner

“Are you done?” Austin asked as I came out of the room. I nodded.

I just sent my boss an email that I would be taking a break from work and I made a promise to her that I would be bringing my best piece yet when I get back, if not, I would quit.

I was betting my all on this relationship. If it doesn’t work out, my whole life would be over. I would quit writing and probably get a job in a coffee shop because apart from writing, that was the only thing I knew how to do. Making coffee.

I sat next to Austin on the couch. My entire life depends on this guy I met yesterday. Am I really that clingy?

“What are you thinking about?”

“Nothing.”

He hummed then turned to face me, “I planned romantic dinner this night.”

I rolled my eyes. “I told you I’m not that kind of girl.”

He smiled, “It would be different.”

“Doubt it.”

“Well, I’ll just have to prove it to you.”

I scoffed, “Are you always this self-confident?”

“Isn’t it a good thing?”

“No, sometimes it’s annoying.”

He laughed. “Not always though.”

I nodded and began to watch the news. That was literally the only thing Austin seemed to watch.

“Where do you work?” I asked, trying to start a conversation.

He thought for some time. “In a company.”

“What do you do in the company?”

“Just this and that.” He shrugged.

It was obvious that he didn’t want to talk about it, so I didn’t push on despite my curiousity.       

“Are you expecting a news?”

He seemed surprised, “What?”

“You keep watching the news.”

“Oh yeah.” He scratched the back of his neck and turned the television off. “I heard something and I wanted to confirm it.”

I nodded. Did he have to be so mysterious?

.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .      .     .    .     .    .      . 

“How many fingers am I holding?”

“I don’t know. You blindfolded me.”

“Just guess.”

“Um… two.”

“Okay. Let’s go.”

He held my hand and guided me. “Where are we going?”

“To get dinner.”

“Where?”

“You’ll find out when we get there.”
I huffed. “Are we there yet?”

“No. Stop asking questions. Just focus on your steps.”

I didn’t talk after that, but my mind was filled with questions.

We stopped walking soon. “Can I take it off now?”

“Wait… Okay, you can take it off now.”
I slowly reached for the knot behind my head and pulled it loose.

I had no idea why it was at that moment that I felt the cold breeze against my skin.

We were on the roof somewhere. Austin had laid a big blanket on the floor with small pillows everywhere. He scattered rose petals and lit few candles which added to the romantic vibe the arrangement gave off.

There was a basket which definitely contained our food. Austin was sitting om the blanket, staring at me in expectation.

“I thought this was supposed to be a cheesy romantic dinner at some restaurant.”

“Well, it is cheesy, isn’t it?”

“A bit. But this isn’t what I imagined. I didn’t even dress well for the occasion.” I stared at my tight evening dress that Lani had suggested I should wear when I told her about his idea.

I felt overdressed as I stood in the partially empty rooftop. Austin, unlike me, fit right in with the scene. He was wearing a simple polo shirt and jeans. No wonder he held his laughter when he saw me. I clenched my fist, resisting the urge to punch him.

“You look good, Kyra. Besides, no one is here to judge your outfit.”

I glared at him, “No one apart from you.”

“Well, you are in luck because I am not in the mood to make fun of you tonight.”

I sighed and sat next to him. He brought out two white plates from the basket. He served the pasta and red sauce in each plate, alongside the ginger bread.

“You cooked this?”

He nodded. “You like it?”

“It’s not bad.” I smirked at him.

“I’ll take that for now. I know you like it though.”

I smiled and we continued to eat.
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .      .     .    .     .    .      . 

Word count: 696

Thanks for reading ,
Adeola.