To Tell the Truth

"You're back," Licht remarked as Kuro entered the apartment. He frowned, looking at the otter in his arms. "What happened to Malleable?"

"He-"

Mahiru jumped out of Kuro's arms and stated, "Ordain, we need to talk."

Licht was really surprised. He could tell Mahiru had been crying- he could at least read his own brother. Even if Mahiru was trying to seem confident and strong, his eyes still red from the tears were a dead giveaway.

"Sure," he agreed, gathering himself. He shoved Hyde out the door by pushing his back. "Out with you then."

"Heh?! Licht-"

"Come on Lawless."

"Nii-san?! What-"

The door shut behind the brothers.

Leaving another pair of brothers facing each other in silence.

Licht was the one to break it, asking, "Didn't you go see Time? Did the idiot refuse to cooperate?"

"He's forgotten you."

Licht jolted. He knew what weight those words carried. He wished he could say he was surprised but...

There was no point in pretending.

He chuckled and murmured, "Of course. That's his choice, huh?"

"HOW ARE YOU SO CALM?!"

Licht jumped at Mahiru's sudden shout. Tears were coming to the servamp's eyes again, his distress on full display... in his gritted teeth, clenched fists, cracked voice...

"...Malleable?"

Mahiru sighed and wiped his eyes. He stated bluntly, "We gotta tell them who really killed him."

Licht jolted. There was only 1 thing Mahiru could mean by that... 1 person... 1 death that'd weighed on them so heavily for centuries...

"You're not serious."

"Deadly serious, Ordain."

"You know what'll happen if you tell everyonr," Licht snapped, taking a step closer. "The treatment I'm getting from Time will fall onto you. Is that really what you want?"

Mahiru flinched.

"You're a bleeding heart, Malleable," Licht continued. "You care so much about all of us- why else would you run around the world all the damn time to visit them? Why else are you letting me tag along- the sinner?"

"Ordain-"

"I can take it- you know I don't talk with the others much, even before his death. But you... you're not like that. Answer me- would your heart really be able to bear it if Time forgot you?"

"..."

"Answer me."

"..."

Licht stormed up to Mahiru and grabbed his collar. He snarled, "Answer me Malleable! Would-"

"I gotta bear it."

Licht loosened his grip.

"I can't watch you tear yourselves apart, knowing the truth will fix it. I will tell them, and Time'll remember you again. It'll be right."

Licht's lips twitched into a snarl.

There it was again.

That stupid "better me than you" attitude that had swayed his choice.

The attitude Licht could never forgive himself for taking advantage of.

"Besides, if we're really fighting this war... you heard Sakuya. It's not fair to not let them know the crux of why we're fighting at all. It's not who we killed. It's how we killed him. And what we chose to tell them."