Chapter 5

“Mr. McKay. Mr. Lord. I look forward to working with you both. I assume you’ve spoken to Lyra and Elijah already, so, I’ll be taking my leave. I’ll see you guys later. And thank you for coming tonight, I greatly appreciate it,” I spoke in more of a civil tone, coming off a bit too professional.

The guys glance over at one another before chuckling softly to themselves. I blush furiously as I begin to fill with embarrassment.

“Fine. Forget I said anything,” I mumble as I then turn around, though, Marshall gently grabs hold of my wrist to stop me.

“My lady, we’re terribly sorry for laughing. It’s just,” Marshall spoke as he attempts to calm himself while Vincent then chimes in, “You’ve shown us your professional side and yet, we simply couldn’t take you seriously. You’re just too cute. Fear not though, it won’t happen again. We’ll behave ourselves. We promise.”

I scoff lightly before removing my wrist from Marshall’s grasp only to then turn to face them, showing them just how much they’ve upset me. My face is a bright red while my eyes are full of hurt. Suddenly, Vincent approaches me closer as he consoles me, gently rubbing my upper arms.

“We’re so sorry, my lady. We didn’t mean to upset you. I’m sorry,” Marshall apologizes, sounding heartfelt and yet concerned.

I wipe my few tears away as I then avert my eyes away from them only to notice Callahan walking towards the doors to approach us.

“Well, well. Looks like you’re about to leave. Why’s that? I thought this party didn’t end until eight,” Callahan spoke in such a sinister yet playful tone.

Ugh, no wonder he’s an bad guy, he’s nailed the acting part of it all.

“Sylas isn’t feeling well, so, we’re heading out early. Besides, no one said that the fun had to stop just because we’re leaving. The party still doesn’t end until 8pm, so, enjoy,” I answer, before insisting he continue to party.

Callahan glances down at me, looking at me with suspicious eyes before smirking lightly as he comments, “I’d love to, though, I’ve got to head out myself. I hear you’ll be enjoying your honeymoon in the southern territory. Here’s my number if you’d like to talk business or maybe have some fun. I’m game either way.”

I take the little white piece of paper out of his hand before holding it down by my side as I finally glance back up at him.

“Thanks! I’ll think about it, though, don’t get your hopes up. Sylas won’t let me go so easily and he’ll join us if I accept your invitation. Either way, he won’t be pleased having to spend time with anyone else besides me. Anyway, I must be going, as I’m sure you have to as well. Thanks for joining us tonight. Have a great night and I’m sure we’ll be in contact soon enough. Travel safely,” I spoke in more of a fake voice towards him, meanwhile, trying to be civil about it all, not breaking character.

If he wants to be fake and act, then trust me, I can do the same. I bow to Vincent and Marshall before turning to take my leave, heading for the main entrance doors where I find Lyra waiting for me by the vehicle.

“Why were you waiting in the cold,” I freak out as I approach her.

She shudders lightly as she holds herself before replying, “I haven’t been out here long. It’s okay, let’s get in the car and get warm. I’ll get out once Sylas gets down here and is ready to leave.”

I smile softly before we crawl into the back of the vehicle only to sit up on the matress in the heat, keeping us rather warm and cozy. Lyra and I catch up a bit before slowly saying our goodbyes. Ugh, of course, Lyra just had to make me cry, ruining my makeup, but I suppose I did the same to her. Before long, we find Seth, Sylas, and Elijah making their way over to the vehicle with Oliver and Seth tagging along behind them.