anybody out there? - 1

in which our protagonist escapes hell, and enters a new one.

╭── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╮

"You are not going to leave me now!", the man screamed with such rage.

"Yes I am! You treat us like absolute shit! You bring home a new woman each day, you drink day and night, you do drugs while we eat dinner for goodness sake!" I screamed back. I had an old scummy suitcase in front of me, and had a backpack on full of my belongings, while also shielding my little sister from this terrible man we call our father.

He fell silent until saying sternly "I do those things to tolerate the shit you put me through. Each woman I bring home you find a way to drive them away. You know what? Leave. Get out. Oh yeah, take your fucking drugs with you, fucking hypocrite." He held a Coors Banquet in his hands and pointed at the door drunkenly. His hair was messed up and he had dark circles under his eyes so dark it was like looking into a void.

I looked at him with furrowed brows while my eyes watered from fear, but I took this chance to leave while he "allowed" us to. I grabbed my suitcase with my right hand and held my sisters wrist. I walked out of that hellhole as fast as I could, and slammed the door. I looked at my sister as we walked to the parking lot of our complex and saw her sobbing her eyes out.

I was a 20 year old that worked at a record store and somehow graduated with my sanity, barely. My little sister was 18, and had just dropped out a week ago. She worked at a small restaurant at a local mall. With our money from our job we could survive without him.

"Where are we gonna go?" my little sister said, after calming down from her sobbing.

I didn't know what to tell her. We lived at the bottom of Nevada for goodness sake. Well I mean it's no wonder our "dad" drank. It is Nevada, or more specifically, Las Vegas. "I don't know, Alanis." I said with defeated honesty. Our aunt was all the way in Indiana, and our mother is 6 feet under. So, it's safe to say we have no one.

"Well.. You always say to live life to the fullest.. and you do wanna start a band right? I want to model.." Alanis said in a suspicious tone, like the answer was clear. She raised her eyebrows to see if I knew what she was talking about. "Los Angeles!"

I stared at her with widened eyes and lifted eyebrows, with my jaw slightly open. "Alanis, you do know how expensive LA is right?"

"Oh come on! You do know we live in Las Vegas right? Strip clubs, gambling, alcohol. It's like a party state! I'm sure we can handle LA." She said nonchalantly.

I thought about it.
Screw it. We're going to LA.

"Fine." I said with a sigh. I grabbed my keys to my 1978 Lincoln. I turned the car on and threw our belongings into the trunk, somehow managing for all of it to fit. I got into the drivers seat as my sister got in shotgun. I drove through the streets to a nearby 7-Eleven on South Las Vegas Boulevard. I got down to fill up my tank since it was near empty, and took my sister to the inside of the gas station to get snacks, and of course, a map.
We walked in with a bell announcing our arrival. We saw a homeless man and a group of people buying booze. I walked over to the chips and grabbed a large size, and got some candy for myself. I got a energy drink while I was at it too. I saw my sister grab the candy with the most sugar, along with chocolate and 2 cherry slurpees. I grabbed a map that was sitting on a tall holder near the door we just entered. I walked up to the cashier with all of our items.

"$ 8.47." The boy at the counter said with a tired voice.

"Oh yeah, and 10 on pump 2 please." I said while giving him the money needed.