Everyone's Against Me

August 2012...

It's been 6 months since I came into rehab, and today I get to leave. For the first couple of months, I just wouldn't listen to anyone, so it's taken longer than it should have to get sorted.

Elliott: Okay. Door key, your cash and ID, and iPod. Is that everything you had?
Me: Yeah, think so.

Elliott hands me my stuff and I place it on top of my bags.

Elliott: You sure you're gonna be okay? I can call a cab...
Me: No, don't call a cab. I'll be fine, the apartment isn't too far from here.
Elliott: And you're sure you don't want me to call anyone for you?
Me: Nobody called while I was here so I don't need to call anyone. They wouldn't care anyways.
Elliott: Nah Y/N, you know that's not true.
Me: I know, still sucks though. But thank you, for everything, really. I wouldn't have been able to get through this without you.
Elliott: Ah, don't get all sentimental now you're leaving. Get over here.

He pulls me into a tight hug.

Elliott: You're strong, you're gonna go places. Get me tickets to your first premiere when you do, okay?
Me: Sure. And tell your wife thank you too. You know, for the moral support...and the smuggled cookies.

He laughs and puts his arm around me, guiding me to the lobby.

Elliott: They're good cookies.
Me: They really are.

The automatic doors stay open as we stand in the doorway. Elliott hands me his card.

Elliott: If you need anything, anything at all, you call me, okay?
Me: Okay pops.
Elliott: Hey, I'm not old enough for that yet. I'm serious, you get yourself stuck, all you have to do is reach out.
Me: No offence, but I hope I never see you again.
Elliott: I'm counting on it. Go on, get.

I give Elliott one last hug, then pick up my stuff and drag my shoes along as I wander out of the facility for the first time. I haven't told anyone, my guess is that everyone still hates me, especially Hailee. I'm probably single by now anyway, my guess is that Alissa moved right in.

I throw on my backpack and drop the hold-all strap onto my shoulder and start walking across the street, only to be met by a familiar face at the end of the road.

Ryan: You've been avoiding my calls, and I have a tab gaining interest that belongs to you.
Me: Just leave me alone. I'll pay your fucking tab then I'm done.

I storm past him as he follows along behind.

Ryan: We both know that's not true, but see you around. I want that tab paid within an hour or I'm coming for you.

He jogs back off to his car as I walk the 35 minutes to my apartment. I pushed the door open and dropped my stuff, throwing my shoes to the other side of the hallway, then trailed along the corridor to the kitchen, grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge.

Hailee: Um, what are you doing here?

Her voice scares the shit out of me, I thought she'd be back at home, not here. This isn't her apartment after all.

Me: Jesus Christ, you scared the fuck outta me. I should be asking what you're doing here, don't you have a home?
Hailee: You're supposed to be in rehab.
Me: I got told I could leave, so no I'm not.
Hailee: When?
Me: About an hour ago.
Hailee: And you didn't think to call?
Me: With what phone, Hailee? You made sure Ollie took it away from me.