Where The Lies Started And Ended

I find myself parked up at the same spot me and Hailee came to when we first met, overlooking the water on a cliff, as a familiar voice creeps up behind.

Lady Gaga: Not got your phone?

I shake my head, not turning to greet her as she sits beside, also looking out onto the coast.

Lady Gaga: So your girlfriend called, said she was worried about where you might go.
Me: How did you find me?
Lady Gaga: Wild guess. What happened?
Me: She wants me to move here, I can't commit to that right now and she knows that. She's kept me a secret from basically everyone and I told her how I felt, simple as that. And now I'm here, so you can guess how that went.
Lady Gaga: Seems petty.
Me: Very. When did you get home anyway?
Lady Gaga: Last night. I was meant to call but I saw you on some pap photos at a party so I thought I'd leave it.
Me: I wish you had called. That party blew so bad.
Lady Gaga: How are you feeling?
Me: About an hour ago I'd have said fucked off, now I'm fine.
Lady Gaga: What're you going to say to her?
Me: I love her, she can see that. I worship the ground she walks on, she's my first real love. But I can't be a secret, at least not to her friends and other family, not anymore. I think I just need to approach the subject a little less harshly.
Lady Gaga: Why? Because she has a sore head?
Me: No, but kinda. Because she doesn't understand things the way I do. It's like you said, I'm old beyond my years, and I need to acknowledge that not everyone is going to be as mature as me about certain situations.
Lady Gaga: You really have changed for the better. I never thought I'd hear you say that.

The comment makes me chuckle, then stand up and hug LG, before saying goodbye and heading back to the car.

As I reach the apartment door, I sigh, then wander in, throwing my keys on the side table and heading into the living room, where Hailee sat on the couch with another coffee.

Me: How're you feeling?
Hailee: Not great.
Me: You need anything?
Hailee: Where did you go?
Me: The cliff, why?
Hailee: You didn't take your phone. I thought you'd maybe gone to...
Me: Gone to what? Break my sobriety? Jesus Christ.

I roll my eyes, knowing the argument's going to start again.

Hailee: What else did you expect me to say?!
Me: That you trust me, I don't know? Anything but what you just said!
Hailee: Alissa said you'd crack within a year, have you?!
Me: Of course I haven't cracked! Is that what you talk about while I'm in the UK? How long it'll take me to sniff my progress away?
Hailee: You're being ridiculous. At least when I speak to her I can actually say what I think without being jumped on!
Me: Why the fuck is everything all of a sudden about Alissa, huh?! Did you two fuck while I was away or something? Is that what you do when I'm back home working?!
Hailee: Yes actually, it is!

The air goes cold, like someone's turned the room into a freezer. The regret instantly seeps into Hailee's eyes. Did she mean that? Or was it just to get a reaction? Either way, she's not getting what she wants. My shoulders relax and I loosen my fists.

Me: Okay, cool. Well I hope that was fun for you.

I storm into the bedroom and start packing bags frantically, blinking away the tears as they threaten to fall. And when Hailee rushes in to try and stop me, they do fall.

Hailee: Y/N, I didn't mean that. I just said it to get a reaction, that didn't really happen, I swear to you. I don't even know why I said it.
Me: Whatever, Haiz. It's like I said, you can do what you want.