7 - "Last Business Meeting"

The next morning White Locus and Mark held hands as they walked down the hallway

The next morning White Locus and Mark held hands as they walked down the hallway. Mark was behind her, Locus holding his hand like he was a little boy and she was a chaperone taking him to the bathroom. Locus was glowing, talking nonstop as she was showing him the little touch-ups she did to the house. Mark was expressionless, slight bags under his eyes.

They bent the corner and descended the stairs. Ember started to come up the stairs the same time. Mark quickly let go of Locus's hand and put his head down, avoiding eye contact.

"Mark?" Ember said, surprised. "Mark Statin?"

"H-Hello Ms. H-Hunter."

"Hi, are you here for Roselyn?"

Although last night he hadn't come for her, he was ready to see his baby now. He swallowed, barely able to make eye contact with her before looking away. He nodded his head, letting out a weak 'yes'. Ember nodded slowly, assessing him. He looked tired and drained, like so much was going on in his head and his life.

"Okay, well she's in my room. She's asleep though. When you get to the bottom of the stairs, walk straight and when you get to the end of the hall make a left and it's the third door on the right."

Mark nodded and made his way down the stairs. Ember watched him until he bent the corner. She gave it a few seconds and when she knew he had to be out of earshot by then, she turned back to her daughter. "Locus what are you doing to that boy?"

"I'm not doing anything to him. He came here." She said.

"He came to you?" She asked, perplexed.

"Yes, last night. He just showed up. I asked if he was here for Roselyn, he said no and just kissed me."

Ember sighed, she didn't need her to elaborate. She probably knew what transpired after. "Locus he's confused and lonely. He has no one else that's why he came to you. He thinks he's still in love with you."

"He is in love with me."

"Locus you need to let him go."

"No, I love him. Why would you even say that? You're my mother, be happy for me. He wants to be a family with me and the baby. Isn't that what you wanted? For me to be a proper mother? Well now I have the chance."

"That boy is beyond damaged, Locus. He has no family, probably no more friends, he's a spectacle when he walks outside because he was part of a murder case people think he's guilty in and he's on his own with a baby. He does not need to be with you. If he can come back to the same person who caused all of this, then he's broken, Locus."

It hurt that Ember was saying this to her. Locus wasn't trying to act like she wasn't part of Mark's hurt and pain. But to tell her she wasn't good enough for Mark was painful. It was painful because she knew it was true.

"So what am I suppose to tell him? He came back to me after all these years. Want me to chase him out and tell him I don't want him and break his heart even more?"