Chapter 5 - Wake Up Call

She told me it was a really bad headache, which made me sigh in relief as I briefly brushed my fingers on her stomach and sat down on the floor beside her.

I scooped Allie into my arms and sat her on my legs as my back leaned against the kitchen island and I let her wrap her arms around me. She gave me an uncertain look, probably surprised at my affection, but she relaxed a moment later when I nodded.

She started sobbing against my chest. I closed my eyes and stroked her hair to comfort her, but also myself.

I shouldn't have left her alone, but I had to do my job.

I didn't expect it to take longer than two days.

On the last day, I was careless. I was rushing to complete the mission to get back home as quickly as possible that I almost got shot. If one of my agents didn't pull me back and didn't try to talk some sense into me, I think I would have died on the spot.

"What the fuck are you doing, Max?!"

I was pulled back behind a wall as a bullet flew past me and Rob gripped my collar tightly. I stared at him as I couldn't believe I made such a dumb mistake of walking out in the open without any backup.

I was always calm and composed.

Just not when I thought about Allie.

"Do you have a fucking death wish? What the hell is wrong with you!" He kept shouting at me as he confronted me and pushed me into the wall aggressively by my shirt.

I deserved it. That was my wake up call.

He was probably the only person who would ever be able to do that to me without me punching him, but I still narrowed my eyes at him and yanked his hands away from me.

"I was distracted."

It wasn't easy to admit that to my friend, especially since it has never happened before. But he understood me straight away and nodded with determination.

He took over the leadership role from me as agreed and we took down our enemies successfully with the rest of our agents when I was finally able to focus.

Rob didn't ask any questions, not until later before our departure at the airport. We sat on the chairs in the waiting area and were about to go to our gates as soon as information showed up on the screens. We had a few minutes to kill, and I was dreading his questions that I knew would finally come.

He knew more than anyone else.

"So how is-"

"She's pregnant." I said and gulped, looking down.

I didn't want to beat around the bush. I straight up told him what has been on my mind since the doctor told me in private that Allie was carrying my child. I didn't want her to know, not without her memories back. There was still time before her stomach would show any signs.

That's why I was mad and got drunk.

I was mad at myself, at my stupidity, at what I'd put her through and how I rejected her most of the time, yet I gave in to temptation and went too far when I was only supposed to be her bodyguard.

Then I went back to being my stone cold self, acting like I didn't care and like making love to her never mattered to me. I must have hurt her so much.

As I was lost in thought, Rob looked at me with wide eyes, but a chuckle escaped from his lips and he ruffled my hair and patted me strongly on my back.

"Man, I thought you'd never settle down. Let me meet that woman one day." He shook his head from side to side with a wide smile on his face. My hair was now dishevelled and I just stared at him, surprised.

"Why are you looking at me like a lost puppy? She made you soft. Don't scare me like that Max." He laughed at me and I chuckled briefly. My smile faded after a few seconds and I looked at my friend seriously.

"She doesn't know and she still doesn't remember me. I've been keeping her at home since I found her, but that's selfish. It's selfish to keep her to myself, Rob. I don't deserve her."

He stared at me with a stern look on his face.

"Keep her, or you'll never be able to see her again. You know that."

---------------

"I thought you'd never come back." She cupped my cheeks and looked me straight in the eyes, which brought me back to reality.

"I will always come back for you." I said seriously, looking at her beautiful ocean eyes. A secret promise.

I shouldn't be saying stuff like that. I don't deserve her, but I almost gave in again as I focused on her plump lips. She stopped me from pulling her head towards me and pushed my chest with her hands to get away from my grip.

"Yeah. You always come back to your job." She whispered.

My heart sank. She left me speechless and got up as I slumped my shoulders and looked in front of me lost in thought. Maybe it was for the best.

"You won't even say anything?" More tears were falling from her beautiful ocean eyes, but all I could do again is turn stone cold like I always have around her.

"There's nothing to say." I said sternly, and watched her walk away into the bedroom crying.

It hurt my heart, hearing her cry. It wasn't good for her pregnancy. I was afraid if I told her everything, it would be too much for her to handle and that would have been even worse for our child.

My child.

I still couldn't believe I'd be a father. I never deserved that title, and Allie deserved a man with a normal job. Someone to take care of her and give her so much love, like she deserved. She was like the most beautiful flower. Her scent intoxicating, her beauty unmatched.

I couldn't give her what she deserved. I ruined her. Destroyed her life. Now her future was tied to me with her soon to be swollen belly. I knew I had to leave her at some point. I had to give her and our child the best life without me. I'll have to return Allie.

My Allie.

I still sat on the floor like a coward, staring into nothing. Her sobs soon stopped. She must have fallen asleep.

I went inside the bedroom and quietly sat beside her to cover her up with a blanket and I wiped her still wet tears near her eyelids with my thumb.

"If only you knew what you mean to me." I whispered inaudibly.

________

I know it's my story but I ship them so hard lol :>