Chapter 2 - Doctor's Visit

I was treated like a princess.

Clean clothes, regular meals, a private doctor's visit, him constantly checking up on me – and don't get me wrong. Of course I appreciated everything James was doing for me, but here's the thing...

I still have no idea who I am, who James really is and I don't know anything about my past. I've been waiting patiently for the man to do a 'sit down and tell me everything kind of talk', but he was having none of it even when I built up the courage to ask him a question about who I was. He bluntly told me my name was Allison, which I'd already figured out – duh.

All I knew then was him. He was my home, and the only friend I had – a hot, mysterious guy who could actually be my brother, and I'd be totally embarrassed my whole life for thinking he was hot if he was actually my sibling, but he refuses to explain even our relationship. You know, just storms out of the bathroom and slams the door.

I sighed, thinking back about the diagnosis the doctor gave me earlier. Apparently I suffered with a severe case of dissociative amnesia, which means that I most probably have gone through a traumatic and stressful experience. Most other people with this type of memory loss would actually remember some things...
Me? I know absolutely nothing. Thankfully, the doctor told me my memories could return, but he wasn't sure how long it would take. It could be months, or years, but there was hope.

I was sulking now and sitting on the couch in the living room. I refused to speak with James after he told the doctor to check me everywhere and down there to make sure there were no signs of abuse. He even tried to stay in the bedroom while the doctor was checking me, and thank God the doctor asked me for consent if I wanted James to stay.

 I just shook my head to say no and then glared at the man behind the doctor who had his arms crossed and his eyes narrowed as he looked down at me laying on his bed in shame and blushing like a beetroot. I am not letting him see me naked ever again – not unless he is secretly my husband. He saw enough.

I think we were both sulking.

James wouldn't look at me and his back was facing me as he smoked a cigarette every few minutes in the kitchen, staring at the window with his eyes narrowed. This was the first time I saw him smoke since he brought me here last night. I felt stupidly angry at him, because he was letting cold air into the house instead of going to smoke outside, if he really had to smoke.

I was cold, and I was still recovering from a bad cold. I couldn't tell him what to do at his own home though. I didn't think it was my home. Most definitely not. There was no womanly touch to the décor, no feminine products in the bathroom and no women's clothes anywhere. Did that mean James was single?

I saw him take out a bottle of whiskey from one of the cabinets and he kept pouring more into his glass as he drank it quickly. I wasn't sure if he knew that I was staring at him, but he was pissed off. I sneezed, and he slammed his glass back on the counter and closed the window. I flinched. This man was unpredictable. He stared at me, but his eyes looked glazed over and his cheeks had a pink tinge to them. Great. I knew he drank the alcohol way too quickly, and that he hasn't eaten anything for a while. He was drunk, but no wonder after looking at the amount of whiskey that was left in the glass bottle. I looked away from him.

"You remember anything yet?" He chuckled dryly and started walking towards me. What was that tone of voice? Was he dangerous when he was drunk? My heart was beating faster as he approached me and I gulped, still avoiding eye contact. I decided it would be best to answer him.

"I don't."

"I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to remember." He finally reached me and cupped my jaw, making me look at him. He swayed a little, but then focused his eyes on me. I creased my forehead, trying to understand what he meant. His beautiful cologne scent was now replaced by the smell of cigarettes and alcohol.

"Why wouldn't I want to remember?" I whispered back looking into his eyes as he looked down at me. He either avoided my question, or he didn't want to hear it in the first place.
"You're so fucking beautiful, Allie." He whispered back and his gaze focused on my lips. Before I could react, he grabbed me by my waist and pulled me up before he started kissing me on my neck.
"I-I'll-just-get-some-water-and-go-to-sleep-I-don't-feel-so-good." I spoke so quickly in a jumble that I'm not sure he understood what I said, but when I quickly pushed him away lightly and got out of his grip he seemed to calm down. I felt his stare as I shakily poured some water into a glass and went back to the bedroom.

He didn't follow me. He went to sleep on the couch.
I tried to calm my racing heart as I laid in his bed. I still had goosebumps on my skin. No, not the bad kind of goosebumps. I was blushing furiously just thinking about what happened, and touched my neck with the palm of my hand where he kissed me. He thought I was beautiful – or was it just his drunk mind telling him that? I didn't know what to think, but I couldn't help and think his behaviour would complicate things. If anything goes wrong at all, who do I turn to? We should be friends and I should find out more about him, but he won't let me in.

I was about to fall asleep, but I suddenly had a short flashback:
"I can take care of myself! You can't tell me what I can and cannot do!" I shouted at someone. I heard a sound of smashing glass, and saw angry grey-green eyes staring back at me.

I felt sharp pain, a bad headache after that. I couldn't fall asleep and felt confused, and frustrated. It didn't make any sense. I wished I could have gained more of that memory, any more information to make me understand something. It was such a brief flashback that I wasn't sure whether I made it up in my head, or if it was my real memory.

Though I could recognise those eyes anywhere.

Rewritten and published on 08/12/22 <3