the crime scene

A/N: okay so the closet will be sorta big-ish, but not like super big. Think of a slightly bigger than average bathroom stall, or something similar to that! 

It was 6AM. The sky was painted with a gradient of purples, pinks and oranges. The sun had begun to rise, filling the sky with its light. OJ sat in his office, exhausted. He found that sleeping had begun to get harder and harder each night. Right now, he was running on about 4 hours of sleep. He didn't know why it was like this. He had no troubles getting to sleep before.

He decided to round up those who chose to investigate the crime scene with an announcement. He cringed at the thought of waking everyone up, but an announcement was most efficient and most of the residents were usually up early anyways.

"Good morning, can those who volunteered yesterday please meet in my office? Thank you." OJ spoke into the microphone. He sighed and leaned back into his chair after he finished the announcement. Today was certainly going to be tiring.

***

Testtube sat at her desk, scribbling down random thoughts into her notebook, in which she documented what she thought and perhaps even some scientific findings. She had been so focused on writing she hadn't noticed OJ's booming voice over the speakers. 

She slammed her book closed and stood up, feeling lucky she had at least heard the bit. She quickly made her way to OJ's office. Testtube felt anxious. I mean, of course she was. She had never seen a dead object up close and she had never wanted to. Well, she volunteered herself for this! She only has herself to blame. 

She knocked on OJ's office door gingerly. OJ opened the door, letting her in. The only other person in the office was Candle.

"Where are the others?" OJ groaned, exasperated as he returned to his chair.

"Do not worry, they will come eventually." Candle assured OJ calmly. OJ suppressed the urge to roll his eyes at Candle. 

knock!

knock!

knock!

OJ's eyebrows shot through the roof in surprise, his mouth agape. Candle gave him a knowing smile as she answered the door. There stood a dishevelled Nickel and a bored Knife. They entered without a word, with Nickel staring intently at OJ. 

"Oh good. Now that everyone is here, let's lay out our plan." OJ sat up straight and pulled out some planning he drew up the previous night. It may have been sloppy because of how tired he was at the time, but at least it was something.

***

As the group came closer and closer to the scene of the crime, the putrid odour of the bodies hanging in the air became more prominent. The beaten closet door was still swung open, barely clinging to it's hinges, from when Microphone and Soap had been there. 

Testtube wrinkled her nose in disgust as Knife flicked on the small light inside of the closet. Trophy's stiff and battered body was illuminated in the dim lighting. Testtube felt sick and completely grossed out, but kept it to herself. The smell of the corpse was threatening to suffocate her.

"Oh. Ew." a seemingly indifferent Nickel muttered from behind her. Testtube silently agreed with him. A swarm of flies had surrounded Trophy's body but had quickly scattered as Testtube hesitantly approached.

The various but plentiful dents on Trophy had caught Testtube's eye. Who would be sick enough to do something so horrific? Testtube moved away from Trophy's body, partially to look for evidence and partially because she couldn't bear to look at the gruesome corpse any longer.

"I regret volunteering." Knife grumbled bluntly, seeming to be preoccupied with intensely scrutinising at the wall stained with Blueberry's grisly insides. OJ hovered in the doorframe, not daring to step into the closet. 

"I think we all do, Knife, but we must be strong and find evidence to hopefully convict the killer." Candle replied, her voice surprisingly soothing to Testtube. This seemed to motivate OJ to move into the closet, but immediately backed out when he realised how crowded it was. With 5 people in a closet the size of a public bathroom stall, it was inevitable.

***

After hours of tirelessly searching, nothing of significant importance surfaced. Testtube felt both mentally and physically drained. She could sense her friends felt the same, disappointment clear. They all stood in a disheartened silence for a few moments.

"What's that?" Nickel asked suddenly, breaking the silence. 

"What is it, Nickel?" Candle inquired curiously, looking to him for answers. Nickel rolled his eyes as if it was obvious what he was talking about.

"There, in the floorboards," Nickel gestured to the floor. In the dim lighting, at first Testtube didn't understand what she was meant to be looking at. That's when it caught her eye. A piece of  unknown red material peering out of floorboard.

She practically pounced at it and yanked it out, thankfully not ripping it. Testtube carefully examined it for a moment, her heart dropping. This piece of evidence was red paper. Red paper all to familiar to her.

"Well, what is it?" OJ asked, trying to get a look at what Testtube had uncovered.

"It's..." she gulped, fearful. "It's a piece of Fan."