Goodbye Despair

Different Victim:

After the 2nd trial, Ibuki notices Mikan wasn't herself. Soon, Fuyuhiko is found hung. But at least he gets to be with Peko in the afterlife. And then Hiyoko dies too, followed by hidden and found evidence with further detail on who may have done it. After an investigation and showing evidence at the class trial, Hajime concludes Mikan is the blackened and Ibuki was her accomplice. The musician admits she knew Mikan did it and hid the evidence from the others, but she did it for a reason and she didn't really help Mikan with the killing. She suspects something isn't right here and someone forced Mikan to kill 2 people.

In a flashback, her thoughts about Mikan were right after witnessing something unimaginable as the nurse emotionlessly watched Fuyuhiko's dangling body. But one minute after that, she was in total shock and broke down at the sight of her crime. The same thing happened when she killed Hiyoko, showing irony exists. Ibuki comes out and Mikan has a nervous breakdown. She doesn't know what happened, and she can't explain it. Ibuki calms her down, asking for her to try and explain. Mikan says she felt like there was a voice in her head urging her to kill for being pushed to her limits after suffering so much abuse, and just like that she felt like she lost control of her body and moved on her own like a puppet. Though a little confused about what she meant but believing her, Ibuki promises not to tell anyone, knowing maybe someone made Mikan do it. So she tried to help her hide the evidence and put the blame on herself, like what Aoi did for Sakura, because she doesn't want to lose another person she cares about after Twogami. Everyone in the room, even Monokuma, was actually surprised Ibuki was actually being serious about this and not referring to herself in the third person. However, it failed.

Ibuki tries to tell everyone she was innocent and this game might be rigged and demands Monokuma tell them something they don't know. But of course, the bear refuses. Whether there is foul play or not, Mikan still killed 2 people. Before being dragged to death, Mikan thanks Ibuki for everything she has done for her, right before she is mummified alive under many layers of bandages. Ibuki is left sobbing, leading to her devastation of losing 2 of her favourite people. But Hajine suspects Ibuki could be onto something, and he shares his thoughts with Chiaki and Usami.

After the trial, Hajime finds one of Mikan's bandages and decides to go and talk to Ibuki. However, no one has seen her, until a panicked Kazuichi comes bursting through the doorway saying Ibuki is sick. The remaining set of students come running, and find a depressed Ibuki sulking. She was wearing her down, and she didn't have the strength to even play an instrument. This worries everyone, but pleases Monokuma. She says she wants to be left alone, and Hajime leaves Mikan's bandage for her to collect.

Monokuma opens up new accessible areas on the island, including an amusement park, for the class to check out, but Ibuki wasn't around. Everyone thinks she couldn't be bothered, so Hajime tries a 2nd attempt to speak to her. With some help from Usami, he finds her sitting alone on the beach. He tells her how he also believes something was up with Mikan, which lightens Ibuki up a little. Hajime vows they will avenge their fallen friends and Ibuki agrees, but she questions why it had to be Mikan. Hajime comforts her, as she lets out one last cry. She arrives at the park's entrance back to her old self and sprints to the rollercoaster with the others, gaining a lot of inspiration from the rides due to all the screaming.

Ibuki, Akane and Sonia all end up taking momentous to remember their loved ones. Mikan's bandage, Nekomaru's jacket and Gundham's scarf and the Devas, and they have a moment where they cry together.

Final Trial:

Junko reveals the truth at the final trial, telling them about Chiaki's death and how they are the evil ones. This also means Gumdham, Mikan and Nekomaru are still alive, much to Sonia, Ibuki and Akane's delight. But still, they couldn't believe they were the villains. Or so they thought. Without warning, a still alive Chiaki bursts through the trial door as if she was never executed, looking incredibly ticked, saying Junko is lying. Kazuichi fell back thinking Chiaki is a ghost, but she says she isn't dead at all. She's ok and she has teamed up with the good guys to get her friends back. Chiaki shouts at Junko, accusing her for attempting to kill her in such a horrific way and using her supposed death to turn her friends into monsters, telling her to go to heaven, having worked out positive words are her one weakness and calls her a "psycho b**ch". She turns to Hajime, saying them carrying out Junko's desires is true. But that wasn't what they wanted. It's what she wanted. She made them all do it. The Remnants of Despair are not who they are. They are all former Hope's Peak students and friends that can overcome the despair. They have their real personalities right now and Izuru and the other bad selves were never meant to exist. A crying Chiaki begs Hajime to not give in. She just wants her friends back. She doesn't want to lose him. Not again.