Chapter 24

Stiles felt like he couldn't possibly be more human than he was the moment he woke up cradled in Alex's arms. During their journey to a small dinner in town to have breakfast Stiles remained silent, but Alec could tell just by looking into his eyes that the gears within his brain were turning.

Stiles was human. He always would be the typical same reliable, sarcastic, and intelligent freind that was the glue of the group no matter how hard he tried to convince himself he was someone or something else. People made mistakes. People blame themselves. People lose track of what they're fighting for. It happens all the time. Things go wrong rather than going right most of the time, and it's a face Stiles had been trying to push away for a long time, but he was tired of doing that. Every time he pushed someone or something away, every time he refused to listen or let people help, things went wrong.

He didn't need glowing eyes and claws. He didn't need a powerful scream. He didn't need to be psychic. He didn't need a sword. He didn't need a bow. He didn't need a scythe. He didn't need superhuman abilities granted to him through runes. He didn't need a supernatural label. He was Stiles Stilinski, and, as far Alec was concerned, that was far more than enough.

Stiles felt like the most normal person on the planet when he and Alec sat themselves down at a booth pressed against the corner wall of the diner. He felt normal as he and the shadowhunter swiftly fell into a conversation. It wasn't awkward anymore. It wasn't nerve-racking. It was relieving, normal. They ate breakfast like a normal couple, Stiles stealing small scoops of Alec's hash browns every once in a while. They chatted like a normal pair of boyfriends. They humored each other like your typical lowers. Everything felt right.

Then, Alec's phone went off, dinging and signaling that he had received a text message. Stiles knew Alec didn't have any friends outside of the institute, so there was only few people that could've contacted him.

"It's Izzy," Alec said after lifting his phone and reading the message. "According to her, they're having a group therapy session at the loft, but I doubt it's as comforting as she worded it."

"'They're" as in..." Stiles trailed off, waiting for Alec to specify.

"Everyone," Alec said, "Scott and all them too."

"Great," Stiles sighed, dropping his fork and running a hand over his face. "I'm guessing she texted because she wants us there."

"Probably," Alec said slowly, and Stoles closed his eyes, placing one hand felt on his forehead as he rested his elbow on the table.

"Hey," Alec said softly as he reached over to take Stiles' other hand, automatically caressing the humans knuckles with his thumb. Stiles enjoyed the warmth radiating from Alec's palm, and he hummed at the sound of the shadowhunter's voice as he opened his eyes.

"Don't think that you have to try and redeem yourself for them," Alec continued. "You've proved enough. If they can't see that, that's they're problem, not yours. You're plates clean. You don't need anything else to worry about right now."

"Then how about we don't go over there," Stiles suggested, and Alec shook his head.

"Despite how much I'd rather just go back to New York with you," Alec began, "I think it'd do good for everyone to talk, even you."

Stiles rolled his eyes, saying, "I don't like it when you're right."

"I know," Alec laughed. "We'll go there after we finish."

Stiles took his time eating in order to stall, and, despite the fact that Alec knew what he was doing, he didn't comment on it. He knew how hard it would be for Stiles to face everyone and try to have a civilized conversation after all that's happened. He was willing to give Stiles as much time as he needed. It not like they had any other battles to fight any time soon, hopefully.