CHAPTER - 04

"It's 2015?!"

I tossed my mobile on the bed with an expressionless face.

'Definitely the date has not been updated'

"Why isn't Maa back yet?" I mumbled as I was really worried about the driver and Naba.

"I need to ask her about Deuri..."

"I am quite okay just a few bones broken here and there"

I heard a boy's voice and looked at the door of my room. A young teenage boy was standing on the door, he was thin built and had a tribal looking face. He was looking like  Naba , when I saw him for the first time in 2017 but a little younger. 

It was hard to explain how it felt seeing him.

'Did Deuri have any younger brother? But this guy is bandaged too, he seems to have bandages on his leg and arms. Is he Deuri? ...Nah! He must be some doppelganger. This kid being Deuri is out of scope. He is twenty eight now anyways' I tried to process the young teenage boy in front of me.

"Hey kid, you should go back to your mother. What's your name?"

"Umm...Naba Deuri"

"Do you want some good spanking kiddo?" I couldn't control my irritation.

"That's not how you should talk with a sixteen year old Mimi," replied Deuri with a deadpan face.

"Are you still going to put up with this prank?" I could hear irritation in my own voice.

He sighed and held his mobile in front of me. I was quite surprised as his mobile also looked like a mobile of my high school era.

"Umm... Why are you holding your cell in front of me kid?"

"Look at your reflection on the screen" he suggested.

The moment my eyes fell on the dark screen, shivers went down my spine. The reflection on the screen was of a teenager, a girl who was ugly in my opinion, a girl with low self esteem, a girl who was ignorant about life. On the screen was 'the Mimi', I never wanted to face her even in my memories. She was in front of me and him. I never wanted Deuri to see 'this me'.

I shivered in fear thinking what he might be thinking about me when I remembered something unusual.

"If you are Deuri...what are you doing here? Where are we?"

"We are in Guwahati," he replied calmly.

"You were never supposed to be here. You should be at Jorhat now" I said to him.

"Actually that's what amazes me. I should not have been here but Maa said we came for a vacation after my tenth boards then I got into an accident and now the Doctor said we should stay here for my regular checkups for at least six months"