Two

Winters.

Lloyd and I silently sat in his car as he drove us to the private airport.

"Can you turn on music or something? I can hear my own heartbeat." I said.

"I don't listen to music." He said.

"Well you're fucking stupid." I said as I hooked my phone up to his Bluetooth.

I turned on some music and sat back in his passenger seat, taking off my shoes and sitting cross cross.

He glanced over at me. I didn't say anything.

"You know if we get into a crash you're gonna lose your legs right?"

"I think you're full of shit. But I'll take my chances." I said. I turned the heat up and sat back more.

Lloyd turned the heat back down.

"It's cold in here."

"Sucks. Put your shoes back on and maybe you'll be warmer."

I sighed and hugged myself closer.

"Besides Winters. You're gonna have to get used to it. Use your last name a little where we're going."

"Why the fuck does this dude live in Alaska?"

"Cause who would think to look in Alaska."

I sighed and set my feet up on the dash. My socks had little pandas on them. If Lloyd pointed them out I was going to stuff them down his throat so he would choke on them.

"Nice socks."

"Don't talk about it. I haven't had time to do laundry."

"You should prioritize your time."

"You should learn when to shut the fuck up."

He shut up after that. I sighed and looked out the window.

This was gonna be a horrible trip.

————

I sat on the plane across from lloyd. He was resting while I read.

"Get some sleep so we can get to work when we get there Ayden." Lloyd said groggily.

"I don't sleep."

"Yeah you don't sleep. Shut up." Lloyd said sarcastically.

I grabbed my blanket. I laid back and cuddled into myself. I could feel Lloyds stare on me.

"Stop." I said.

"Why are you always so cold?" He asked.

"My heart Hansen." I said.

"Ha!" He said. "That's the best joke you've ever told me. It's so true too." He said. I sat up and looked at him.

"I'm serious."

"Oh shut up." He said and laughed.

"I had heart failure when I was eight. My blood doesn't circulate like it should anymore."

His laughing stopped.

"You're joking."

"I'm not. I'm serious."

He lifted his brows. "Huh. How can you still do everything normally?"

"Pacemaker" I said.

He nodded and sat back. "Why are you going on this mission to Alaska then?"

"We're staying in a cabin. As long as I'm in a place with heat and electricity I'm fine."

"Ahh."

"I thought we were supposed to be getting sleep." I said.

"Right." He said.

I nodded and laid back. Lloyd was being...soft? Then again so was I. This wasn't good. We both needed to keep our guard up.

Sometimes there was no denying it though. He was attractive. He had something that I gravitated towards. His arm muscles, his hair, his smile, when he did.

He was attractive. But...no. Couldn't happen.

Never.