Cloud Nine

Summary: Maya and Carina go ice skating

A/N: This is the ice skating prompt for Marina Winter Cheers and it's pure fluff!

For additional details, Maya and Carina are both eighteen in this story.

—————————————————————————

Maya pulled up to Carina's driveway, nervously tapping the wheel while she waits for her to come out through her front door.

It was the first day of Christmas break, which means no school for either Maya or Carina.

So when Maya suggested that they go ice skating, Carina hesitantly agreed, apprehensive for a reason Maya doesn't know.

Although she originally didn't seem to excited about the idea, Carina started to grow more thrilled, which Maya was happy about, not wanting to do something where Carina would have no fun.

But now, sitting in Carina's driveway with no Carina in sight, Maya's starting to worry that she's going to show her up.

Right as she's about to leave, Carina appeared through the glass of the door, walking out with a small smile on her face. Maya couldn't help but think that she looked beautiful.

It was no secret that Maya had a crush on the Italian, even Carina had an idea, unbeknownst to Maya, but she wouldn't dare tell anyone about it.

Just looking at Carina, Maya's heart beat just a little faster and she felt like she could melt under her gaze.

But their friendship is just too special to risk only because of her stupid feelings.

"Hi," Maya smiles as Carina opens the passenger side door, sliding in.

"Ciao," Carina replies, a matching smile on her face.

"Are you ready?" Maya asks, putting her car in reverse.

"Sí," Carina nods, looking out her window.

Maya can't help but notice how quiet Carina is right now. She's usually bouncing with energy from the moment she gets out of bed to the minute she goes to sleep. Now, she just seems off.

"Are you okay?" Maya questions, quickly taking a look at the brunette, seeing that her gaze is still out the window.

"Just a little nervous," Carina admits with a weak smile.

Maya's eyebrow pops up at her words, not understanding why she's nervous. "How come?"

"I've never skated before," Carina answers and Maya turns to her, her mouth agape in surprise.

"Never?" Maya asks astonished. "Is that like...not a thing in Italy?"

Carina chuckles at her question, lightly shaking her head. "No it is. Just never been."

"Oh," Maya replies, her line of sight going back to the road. She knows how Carina came to America last spring, a few months ago, having stayed in Italy for a couple of years to look after her father. It would make sense if she didn't have the time to do these types of activities between that and her unstable childhood. "Well, I can teach you."

Carina smirks, loving how sweet Maya is. It's the simplest things that Maya does that makes her heart melt. She adores that kind and caring part of the blonde.

Because just past that cold, hard exterior, is a loving, sweet girl. It's a gift to be able to be one of the only ones to know that side of Maya and she doesn't know what she did to deserve seeing it, but she holds it close to her heart.