𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝚝𝚒𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚐𝚒𝚛𝚕

CHAPTER TWO

AFTER PARTING WAYS WITH HER PEW, WINNIE GRABBED HER TWO SUITCASES FROM UNDER HER SEAT

the handles fit nicely in assisting her in sifting through the flooding crowds of students and parents desperate to leave. what they weren't helpful in, however, was the heaviness in which they weighed, causing her arms to ache. surely she wouldn't be able to make it up the stairs alone, but she will try.

just for her luck, she was stopped by the wretchedly wrinkled principal on the way out. "wonderful having you back for another year, winifred," he smiled barely, "we expect great things from you this year."

"thank you, mr. nolan," she smiled sweetly, bustling along. scotty nodded in acknowledgment to the old man before hurrying behind her. him, with only one suitcase of his own, lugged his sister's cello case on his back. thank god for testosterone.

winnie trudged towards the steps, her arms nearly to the ground. the large cases weighed her down as she waded through the crowd as though she was treading water- smack!

her suitcases hit the ground as she came tumbling after them, landing with her chest on somebody else's rock-hard suitcase.

"ah shit," she groaned, "right in the boob!"

"oh shit, i'm so sorry!" a shrill voice sounded from above her, grabbing her shoulders and pulling her back. the voice, recognizable enough, came from a stringy, small boy whom she'd come to know as stick.

"oh, hey, stick!" she smiled, crossing her arms across her chest to ease the pain without it being awkward. "how was your summer?"

"it was fi- wait. are you alright?" the small boy's eyes filled with concern as he helped her up. retrieving his suitcase from the ground, he didn't wait for her reply. "here, i'll help you carry your stuff to your dorm. it's the same as last year, right?"

"uh, yeah."

"okay, great." his hand looped around the golden handle of her lighter brown case, easing her load quite a bit. he decided to take the heavier one. thank god for testosterone.

as they made their way upstairs, a small conversation fell between them. "how's your dad?" winnie asked, the two stuck in a traffic jam between a few parents and their students. "i heard that he got pretty sick over the summer."

"uh, yeah," the boy replied, pursing his lips slightly, "he had a bit of a heart attack in late may - that's why i left early last year. he didn't die but he was pretty close to it. don't tell my mother i repeated this but she says it's from all the junk he eats. i haven't seen him pick up a fruit since i was, like, ten."

"oh." shocked by the news, she placed a comforting hand on his forearm. "i should have called, or something. i guess i didn't realize what was going on - no one told me - i'm sorry - i should've-"