𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚢𝚘𝚞, 𝚒 𝚠𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍

CHAPTER ONE

WINIFRED CATES ADORED THE SUMMERTIME

summer was the one season out of the year where she truly had freedom; at least in the mornings. with her schedule packed from three p.m. to midnight, all she has most days is the morning time. and that's where she finds herself on a tuesday morning: breakfast in the diner down the street with her best friend.

"god, it was awful!" charlie exclaimed, throwing his hands down on the table and ignoring the watchful eye of the waitress across the room. "he had it all down his front and everything. old man barely missed my own shoes before he made it to the trash can. you really should'a seen it, freddie."

"was it really that bad?" she took a sip of her chocolate shake, a delectable start to any long day.

he hummed and nodded, picking at the remnants of his hotcakes before changing the subject. "have you seen any of the guys all summer? i've gotten ahold of meeks and pitts but everyone else seems mia."

she nodded, wiping her mouth. "i talked to neil a couple of nights ago-"

"really? at first i thought he totally ditched us after june 'cus he just up and left."

"his father dragged him to one of my father's dinner parties last week. he said he was doing summer school."

"mm, i see," charlie nodded, taking a swig from his coke. "poor guy, his dad made him do it. missed out on all of summer."

pursing her lips, she continued. "well i should be seeing him tonight again if there's anything you wanna ask."

"is he throwing another one?" charlie quirked a brow.

"yep," winifred popped, resting her chin on her hand. "but this one's for his birthday. he's like fifty or something? i dunno."

the conversation came to a lull before freddie fished out a few cents for their food. "do you wanna go somewhere, dalton?"

taking the final sips out of his drink, he thought for once in his life. "like where?"

"i don't know, sherlock, just somewhere else. i only have the morning so we've got to go somewhere." winifred rolled her eyes as she slid out of the booth, leaving the money on the table. she gathered her items back into her purse and slid her gloves back on, exiting the store. huffing, she tossed the bag back to charlie. "find my keys, would you?"

she heard him ruffling through the little bag behind her. "why don't you just leave them in your car?"

"because idiots like you would come and steal it," she quipped, opening the driver side door while he held out the dangling keys. "now hop in, we're gonna go see meeks."

"meeks? why meeks?" he began to whine, but complied. zooming down the street, passing few familiar faces and various groups of youths, freddie popped on her cat eye sunglasses.