Chapter 7

2 weeks, 2 whole weeks Eric and I have been engaged. We haven't really talked about a wedding or anything. We have just been content to be engaged, well I have at least. I wore my ring everywhere. Nobody knew that Eric was the one who gave it to me. I just loved it. Marley of course had noticed right away. I still don't think she bought my story about it being a family heirloom. Every time I looked at it I still couldn't believe that it was happening. One day I was going to marry Eric. The only thing that could make me happier was to be able to be out in public. I longed for the day when I could take his hand in public. I kept the hope that I could do that eventually, maybe...hopefully.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Eric this past week. Initiation is in full swing and he has been crazy busy. Dauntless was planning something. Eric didn't talk about it but that didn't mean that I didn't know. He was being different, like he was distracted. I had the nagging suspicion that something was about to go down. He has been coming home really late and leaving really early. I was in my bedroom just cleaning up a little bit when I heard the door open. I glanced at the clock and smiled. He was actually home earlier than usual. I was checking my hair quickly when he called my name.

"Liz." He yelled.

Ohh that was his Dauntless voice. I hurried into the living room and he was standing there with a box. He set it down and I came over to him. I moved to kiss him and he turned away from me.

"Eric?"

"Can you just sit down?" he asked.

I put my hands on my hips and stayed right where I was. I had dealt with the Dauntless Eric before. Sometimes he would bring his work home and all I had to do was stand up to him. I stared at him.

"No not until you tell me what is going on." I said.

"Fine then stay standing." He snarled.

"Eric, what is wrong with you?" I asked stepping toward him.

"Don't." he said backing away from me.

I stopped moving towards him and crossed my arms in front of me.

"Well then are you at least going to tell me what is going on."

He opened the box and I looked into it.

"These are your things." He said.

"Yeah I can see that." I replied flatly.

"And I need that back." He said pointing at my hand.

"My ring?" I asked.

He nodded.

"Why?" I asked putting my hand behind my back.

"I can't do this anymore Liz." He said.

"Can't do what?" I asked, trying to keep my voice from shaking.

"This, us, whatever it is we are doing here." He said pointing around.

With every word he spoke my heart was breaking. I tried not to let him see how much it was hurting.

"Whatever it is we are doing here? I thought what we were doing was loving each other, marriage, a life together. Sound familiar?" I yelled.

"Not anymore."

"So that's it? You are breaking up with me?"

"Yes." He replied looking away from me.

I stepped right up in front of him and he made no move to get away from me.

"Eric, look me in the eye and tell me that you don't love me." I said with my hands on his hips.

He slowly turned his head to look me in the eyes. I didn't see that love shine through that I usually did. His eyes always lit up when he was around me but here and now they did not. His eyes looked cold and icy. His blue eyes locked onto my own green ones.

"I. Do. Not. Love. You."

He pronounced each word slowly and with precision. I gripped onto his waist tighter.

"I don't believe you." I said even though the look in his eyes was hard to deny.

He pulled my hands off of his waist and moved away from me.

"Goodbye Liz." He said turning for the door.

"Eric...please..." I choked out but it was too late.

The door closed and he was gone.