The Proust Effect

A/N: The Proust Effect: A memory evoked by a smell, sound or other involuntary sensory stimulus that triggers a vivid, emotional reliving of a forgotten event in the past.

Enjoy :)

----------

Holy shit. So, we're talking about this.

The number of emotions that swarm you is nearly overwhelming.

Confusion. Let's start there.

Did you mishear him? Maybe you misunderstood him? Trying to wrap your head around the fact that he's thought about taking you out...or thinking about you in that way at all? It just seems so otherworldly—not something that could happen to you.

"Another place in mind..." Your voice thins out and you can't even find it in yourself to be pissed about it with how frazzled you are right now. He looks over at you and cocks a brow, unsure of what you're asking until you try to complete your thought. "For a...y'know?"

Viktor catches on to where you're going and tries to ease your struggle by answering your unfinished question.

"Date? Yes."

His eyes illuminate with the slightest bit of humor, probably because he can say the word without tripping all over himself. He snuffs out the cigarette under his shoe and tips his head towards the street, suggesting you should both keep moving. "We still have a couple blocks to go."

Disbelief.

You're a barista...no, ex-barista with a muddled reputation at best—finding solace only when someone hadn't heard of your father and his fuck up that cost more lives than he was ever worth. And on that rare occasion, you were more than happy to be the son of no one.

That and you barely have a scrap to your name. This boy met you in a literal scrap pile for christ's sakes, and it's only a matter of time until he's topside basking in the sun sippin' on...whatever the hell they drink up there. What would someone like him ever be doing on a date with someone like you? Maybe he's not even talking about you at all right now...

You jog to catch up with Viktor and walk alongside him again. He glances over to you, looking positively smitten while you're still sorting through the number of emotions coursing through you.

Curiosity.

"A date. Like in general?" You're falling off hard with keeping your composure, your hand is starting to shake, and you're starting to wonder if you've developed an addiction to nicotine.

Great. That sounds expensive.

"In general?" He furrows his brows, seemingly quite confused at that prospect. "I'd prefer it be with you." His tone bends at the end and he chuckles under his breath at the suggestion. "I thought that much was obvious."

You half laugh at his last remark. "I—no, how would that be obvious?"

"I was trying to ask you yesterday at the coffeeshop, but you had that shift at the bar."

"Y—you did?"

You think back and recall him asking if you enjoyed his company enough to see him again and...oh.

Yeah. Okay. You see it now.

"Yes." His tone is still light and airy, like all of this was common knowledge and accessible at any time. "Although, I wasn't really sure if I was your ehh...type." You catch him eyeing his cane before looking forward as you round a corner with him. "I suppose I'm still not sure, actually."

"You mean guys?"

"Among other things." The way he says it makes you wonder what he really means by 'type', causing you to finally gather some confidence so you can squash any doubt he might be feeling.