Chapter 4: Nate

Chapter 4
Nate

My lungs were literally on fire as I took another left. My breathing was heavy and erratic as I wondered if I took a wrong turn and ended up circling through the floor one more time.

No stairs or doors caught my eye, there was only a vast corridor of sickly, flowered wallpaper. My head was starting to hurt and the shaking in my knees were becoming more and more difficult to endure as the time ticked.

One more left, another right and then another one again. I was beginning to think that escaping from those chains was the wrong choice to make.

My mind flashed back to when the link finally fell to the ground with a clink. My breath hitched in my throat as I felt around the ground for a metal piece. A gasp escaped me when a rounded metal edge caught my grasp.

I'm free.

Not waiting for another moment, I stood up with wobbly legs and ran immediately to the direction of the door. I slipped a few times, scraping my knees and elbow in the process but that didn't stop me from reaching the door and pulling it open with all my might.

Light instantly flooded into the room. I snapped my eyes shut at the sudden brightness but eventually opened them as soon as they'd adjusted.

Quietly, I climbed up the wooden stairs. My heart was beating in my ears now. I couldn't hear anything else but the loud thump, loudly and steadily drumming as I climbed up one platform at a time.

As soon as I arrived on top, I didn't bother stopping for a second to decide on a direction. I simply chose one direction and headed that way because, honestly, how hard could it be to find the exit?

I took another right and one more before finally stopping. I feel like I've been going around in circles all this time. The adrenaline that distracted me from the obvious pain in my bones and wounds slowly dissipated leaving me a mess as I observed my body.

There were tons of bruises littered around my limbs. My arms and legs were covered in scratches. A huge gash was on my knee, slowly dripping blood and I couldn't exactly tell because of all the mud covering my toes but I felt like I was missing a nail.

Feeling tears well up in my eye, I covered my face and slapped my cheeks. Things will only worsen if I stay here. I needed to find the exit. Immediately.

So, for one last time, I took a left.

***

Seeing the door to my freedom made butterflies go crazy in my stomach. Gone were the throbbing of my wounds and the pain I felt in my feet. All that was in my head was freedom and that was what all I thought about as I jogged to the door and twisted the knob open.

Greeting me were strong howling winds and loud crashing rain. All I could see a few meters in front of me was a never ending plain of darkness.

The rain dropped heavily to the ground causing mud to splatter all around. I took a breath wondering if leaving right now would be a good decision but as a door slammed shut a good distance away from me from inside the house, I knew it was the only choice I had left.

Bracing myself for the freezing weather, I mentally said a prayer before heading into the unknown. Once outside, I was instantly thrown around by the strong breeze. My bare feet couldn't grasp the ground well with how slippery it is causing me to sway around with the wind.

I grasped my arms around myself feeling the cold seep in. My hair had gone from dry to soaking wet in a matter of seconds, as well as my clothes and basically everything I had on me. Still I didn't stop.