10

*10 Years Ago*

I packed the last box of stuff from my uni flat into the back of my car and shut the door behind me.

The drive home was 2 hours and I was readily prepared with snacks and a playlist. It was a bittersweet feeling leaving, I had some of the best days here but it was also the sole reason for years if stress and tears. The roads were quiet which made for an easy drive, I had the windows down and I was speeding from pure excitement of getting home to everyone.

When I pulled in to my street I already saw people standing outside, my parents, Michael, Daniel, Daniel's parents, their smiles reminding me the reason for being home so early on a Saturday morning.

"You're home!" My Dad grinned, pulling me in to a hug, "It's going to be so nice having you back here again."

"Maybe for the first few days, after that she's definitely not such a delight." Michael added, receiving a punch on the arm from Daniel.

"I'll be glad to have you home." Daniel said, picking me up and hugging me. "We have breakfast made inside."

I gave everyone a hug and they started going inside to my house.

"Have you told anyone?" I asked Daniel, holding him back.

He took a big sigh and ran his fingers through my hair and cupped my cheek, "I haven't said anything, I think you and I need to talk about a few things before we say anything about us moving in together."

"What do we need to talk about?"

"You're just home, we have your car to unpack and you to finally relax, we have the day to spend actually time together without you feeling guilty for not studying. Let's talk later?"

"I don't want to talk later, I have the whole summer to relax before I start work, just tell me now I don't want to wait!"

"I've been offered a seat... in formula one."

"I'm sorry, you've what? That's amazing! When did you find out?"

"About a month ago..."

"I'm sorry, A MONTH." I exclaimed, "You've kept this from me for a month?"

"You had exams, so much excitement, this has been your time to shine in to the little graduate nurse we've all been waiting on."

"Don't make this about me, you've been offered the most amazing news of your entire life, you've stayed with me every weekend and not once did you tell me. You're obviously taking it right?"

""Of course, there's just a lot that comes with it. I need to move... to the UK, I have about a month left at home."

"Okay when you and I were making the plans to move in together you probably should have told me that it wouldn't be in Australia, it would be on the other side of the planet."

"This is why I wanted to talk later, I don't expect you to move with me. You're just starting your career, you've been given a great job opportunity and moving with me will only hold you back."

"You're right." I nodded, "let's talk about this later."

I locked my car and marched inside where everyone was already starting to eat breakfast. I sat on an empty seat, Daniel following behind me and sitting in the empty seat bedside me.

I spoke to everyone at breakfast except from him.

***

"I think the treehouse might be a bit small for us now." Daniel said, trying to squeeze through the mini entrance of our treehouse.

"It's just because you're tall, you should be shorter like me."

"I'm not exactly tall, this just works because your baby sized."

Every summer growing up we spent the majority of nights sleeping out in the treehouse. Our dads built it when we were tiny, we complained 24/7 that the three of us wanted to be together all the time so building a treehouse was the best solution at the time. They left it stocked with snacks and we took blankets and pillows out at night.

"Before you tell me more, is there any more major parts of this you've hid from me?"

"Michael." He nodded. "Michaels coming with me. He's going to be my performance coach."

"Oh. I'm losing you both."

"I want you to come with me, I do, but I don't want you to give up on your dream just to see me follow me mine."

"There's hospitals all over the world, I'm sure I can get a job somewhere and it doesn't even need to be in a hospital."

"But I'll be travelling so much, most of the time it's just travelling from one country to another my time off will be short it's not fair on you."

"Are we breaking up?"

"Of course we're not breaking up, are you crazy? Realistically I'd love for you to move with me but i have a lot of stressing even thinking about me going over there, the first year is make or break."

"I'm in." I decided, "it's spontaneous and crazy but you have one shot at making it there, I have many chances to start work, where you go I go... within reason of course. If you have to travel I'll be wherever I can for you, we need each others support not the stress of leaving each other behind."