11

*PRESENT TIME*

"Michael tell me one thing, did you start dating Emily just to get closer to me?"

"I did." He nodded, a bit too quick. "I really like her though, she's not like other girls I've dated. I actually really like her whether she comes with you or not."

Michael was walking me back to my car. It had just gone 3am, Emily had fallen asleep in the couch and I asked Daniel if he could let Michael and I walk together. I thanked him for his support earlier in the night but I left it at that and wanted alone time.

"I can tell, she really is amazing you'd be lucky to have each other."

"Why did you lie and say you were working until 3am? What would you have done if Emily was busy?"

"If Emily was busy I guess I would've just showed up and tried to work an extra shift? I don't know, I've been stuck inside all week and just the stress of making a perfect Christmas for Alice was too much, I needed out and a change of people."

"I get that actually, I just know you're a great Mum Soph, I always knew you would be."

"I'm not really." I sighed, "I've made a lot of decisions that I shouldn't have made."

"We've all made wrong decisions, she's alive, happy, healthy? I think that makes you a pretty great Mum."

"Look at our parents, I wish I could give her the life they gave us."

"You could have Sophia, you know you could have if you just-"

"No. I'll stop you there. I know that was my first bad decision, but it wasn't something I could just turn back on,"

"Mum and Dad really miss you, you know? Like a lot. I don't think you know how much you broke them when you left."

"One day I'll tell you everything Michael, but until then lets just take everything as it happens. Just know I really am sorry to you all though."

I gave him a hug, thanked him for the night and drove away in my car to Jack's parents house. When I I pulled up outside the living room light was on and Jack was standing at the window, waiting for me.

He opened the door when I walked up the path and greeted me with a hug and a kiss. He took my bag and led me to the spare bedroom we were staying in, trying to be as quiet as possible trying not to wake anyone else in the house.

"Did you get the presents sorted?" I whispered, changing in to my pyjamas.

"My sister helped me. It's all there."

I slid in to bed and turned the light out. I lay flat on my back, staring at the darkness above me.

"Jack we need to talk."

"I don't think now is the time."

"Now is absolutely the time. What happened the other day will happen under no circumstances whatsoever again."

"Sophia you have no idea how sorry I am, really."

"What was the one thing we taught Alice growing up? We taught her sorry means you'll never do it again. Don't say sorry Jack if you're just going to do it again."

"I won't. I fucked up. I fucked up immensely. I truly truly am sorry."

"I swear if you ever lay another finger on me again I will leave, I will get a divorce and I will not hesitate to make sure you have absolutely no contact with either of us again. I don't say it lightly."

"I understand."

I rolled over to face the wall, not saying anymore but my heart beating so fast I thought it was going to explode in the bed with us.