11. survival

The next day came, Katherine had gotten the best sleep since the whole thing started, and she didn't have a hangover either, which was a major bonus. She sits down at the table, T-Dog hands her a plate of eggs and a glass of water.

"Thanks" she smiled, taking the plate. Glenn, who she was next to, was groaning and holding his head, Katherine giggled, "Hungover?"

"Yeah, like hell, how aren't you?" he asked.

"Well for one, my tolerance is way up here" she stretched her arm up, "And two, I didn't have that much"

"Don't ever ever ever let me drink again" Glenn groaned.

"As your best friend, I won't, I'll slap the bottle out ya hand before you even think of taking a sip" she said to him.

"Hey" Shane said entering the room.

"Hey" Rick greeted him back, "Feel as bad as I do?"

"Worse" Shane replied.

"The hell happened to you?" T-Dog asked him, "Your neck"

Katherine looks to his neck to see some scratches on, it looked like someone attacked him.

"Must've done it in my sleep" Shane retorted.

"Never seen you do that before" Rick comments.

"Me neither, not like me at all" Shane states, his eyes flickering over to Lori. Only Katherine noticed since he looked back at his drink, as if he never looked at Lori. Katherine narrowed her eyes at Shane, he was hiding something.

"Morning," Jenner says.

"Hey, doc" Shane greets him.

"Doctor, I don't mean to slam you with questions first thing–" Dale starts.

"But you will anyway" Jenner cuts him off.

"We didn't come here for the eggs," Andrea adds.

"Speak for yourself, these are delicious" Katherine mumbles, eating another forkful.

Jenner then led them into the big computer room after everyone finished their breakfast. Katherine stood beside Harlow, as they watch Jenner, "Give me playback of TS-19"

"Playback of TS-10" Vi repeats as data begins to appear on the screen in front of them.

"Few people ever got a chance to see this. Very few" Jenner informs them.

Harlow leaned forward to get a better look, while Katherine leaned back. Once the file has loaded, a picture of a bright blue brain comes up.

"Is that a brain?" Carl asked.

"An extraordinary one" Jenner replied, "Not that it matters in the end. Take us in for EIV"

"Enhanced internal view" Vi says as the screen zooms in on the brain. Katherine watches in armament as hundreds of different blue veins travel through to tubes. Who thought science was cool, Katherine thought.

"What are those lights?" Shane asked.

"It's a person's life– experiences, memories. It's everything. Somewhere in all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light, is you– the thing that makes you unique. And human" Jenner explains.

"You don't make sense ever" Daryl comments.

"Those are synapses, electric impulses in the brain that carry all the messages. They determine everything a person says, does or thinks from the moment of birth, to the moment of death" Jenner explains more

"Death? That's what this is, a vigil?" Rick questions.

"Yes" Jenner replies, still looking at the blue lights in amazement, "Or rather the playback of the vigil"