Chapter 28 Marcus Has a Buyer

Marcus is sitting at the table in Richard and Terri's kitchen. He is on his third cup of coffee and both Terri and Richard are working on their first.

Terri said, "Marcus, we hate to see you go. Since from what you told me, the new buyer will not be closing for a couple of months, why are you in such a hurry to leave us?"

With a slight chuckle, he said, "I am not in a hurry to leave you. To be honest with you, these last couple of days, have been very hard for me.

Yesterday evening I was over at the Crownover's saying goodbye. That was tough because Marcy took it a bit hard. At her age losing friends doesn't happen very often. She is young and she will get over it quickly. In a few months, she will be headed for Princeton and a new life. I'm going to miss her and her mom. One thing that I am proud of is I also will miss her dad. We have become real friends over the last year, and I like that.

To answer your question about why I had to leave so soon, I want to get out to Arizona and spend some time with Nicole. She will be leaving soon and heading to UCLA. Since I don't want to be a distraction for a college freshman's first semester, I told her I would get out there before she leaves for college."

Richard has been unusually quiet and everyone at that table knows why. He is already missing his friend.

He speaks, "What are your long-term plans?"

"I don't know for sure. I had my Jag trucked to Arizona. After I get there, I am going to leave this car with Nicole. She doesn't know it yet, but I have already cleared it with her parents.

I also told them that I am picking up all of her college expenses. That was a little harder sale with her mother. When I brought up all those missed years of child support, she came on board.

After that, I don't know. I might look into buying a landscaping company. I don't know if I am ready to do hard work yet. I better think about that a little longer. How about you guys what's your plan for the future?

Richard said, "Professionally I have a big project coming up. Kenneth has decided to take Walker public. Together we are going to put it on the Wall Street board."

An excited Marcus said, "Good for him and good for you. I wish you guys all the luck in the world.

Smiling Richard said, "Another big deal for me, in September we have a wedding. My mother is getting married."

Marcus said, "Is it the black guy that I met when they came for a visit this past winter?"

"Yep, that's him. He is a widower and Town Engineer for one of that area's suburban towns. Boy, is she happy. Just watching everything about her since she met him. I am really glad for her. Living a life with my father was hard for both of us. Now she has someone that loves her back. They deserve each other."

Terri said, "I don't have any sisters, so this is a first for me. Richard had to tell me that it is her wedding, not mine, twice."

They all three are laughing.

Marcus said, "Good for her. How about your Aunt Clara, is marriage in the cards for her?"

"No, I think she would rather play the field. Her marriage was very good and sometimes I think that she thinks, number two could not possibly be as good as number one. It looks like she will remain happily single."

The conversation turned silent.

Terri broke the silence with a slight catch in her voice. "First Deidra and now you. I don't know how I'm going to make it without the two of you."

Marcus asked, "Have you heard from her."

"Yeah, a couple of weeks ago I got a letter. She is in France, living in Chouze' a small town on the Loire River. She has a villa on the river bank. She says she really likes it there and plans to stay for a while."

Marcus said, "Good for her. I hope she finds what she is looking for and comes back home, soon.

With that, all the words have been said. The hugs and best wishes followed. Unlike the normal parting of friends, not one of these three thought that it would be their last time together.