Chapter 1

Filipinya's Birth

Today is a typical day in the village, hot and sunny, children playing games, men coming home from fishing, women vendors selling goods, basketball games, Lolos and Lolas sitting in the shade chatting and proudly pointing at their grandchildren. At the Enchanted River, swimmers and divers and fish share the 60 foot sink hole and meandering river that mixes the fresh water from the hills and underground caves with the sea water from the bay. The weather vane suddenly turns as winds shift from blowing north to the south.

Lolo and Lola took notice. "Winds shifted. Mmmmm. Smell those sweet pinyas from the northern fields, mother," said Lolo.

"That's a rare breeze, Tito. Change is in the air today."

"Ya, a big change! When is that little one going to pop out? I'm tired of waiting."

"You! Santol! What do you know about waiting? What do you know about childbearing?"

"Just step 1, Mahal" he said with a wry smile as he put his arm around his wife of forty years.

"Pretty much that's it, old man, Step 1. Then I take all the pain," she said with a hard look.

"I seem to remember we liked Step 1 quite a lot!"

"Tssshhhhh, that's enough."

"Oh come on pretty woman, give me a love kiss!"

"Love kiss? You've been drinking again?" she retorted.

Lolo grabbed her face and kissed his wife on her lips. "You see Mahal, love is still in the air!"

Lola smiled, looked north, and took another deep breath, "That is such a sweet warm smell.

Something's in the air."

Late that night, the village is quiet, except for Mr. Santos nervously pacing in circles outside of home. The moon shines bright, competing with billions of stars. The Tatay to be tries to sing away his nervous tension.

I've been waiting for my girl

Livin' days til she is born

Is she comin' this night

Or the next day morn?

Will she look like me?

Or her pretty nanay?

I know it from my core

No one will love her more.

My precious daughter to be

No one knows what's in store

But I feel what I cannot see

She will be born to soar!

Protect, and teach, and steer you right.

You're the one that we'll adore.

My first born, my precious babae, my cute little one

World be blessed, the day you are born!

Screaming and commotion filled the house, the father to be is sweating and stressing, while his wife screams and pushes and screams and pushes harder....... until a new baby cries loudly! Tatay in tears, proudly proclaims, "You're here, you've arrived! Let me see my newborn, the one that is part of me. I am your father, and I will always be by your side."

The mid-wife brings the baby girl to the new father, and he lifts her in the air to the stars.

"Oh Great God above,

I present her to You, part of me!

One day she will grow up tall and strong

And she will also bless You with song."

Tatay Santos notices her hair is standing straight up, looks surprised, smiles, and mutters to himself, "A pinya?"

He scratches his head, squints one eye, smiles wide.

"My daughter, you will bless our world afar!

I give you our father's father's pride and spirit.

I shout it to the heavens,

She is greater than all the stars!

We will call her...... Filipinya! Fil-a-peeeeeeeen-yaaaaaa!!"

Tears run down Tatay's cheeks, as he brings her back to Mother's arms and introduces

his first born, "Filipinya".